El Camino to build with a 5.3 LC9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2015
New Bern, NC
Hello all,

Just signed up for this forum, because I have been coming across more information about the LSx swaps on here than on the El Camino forum.

I have an 85 El Camino and I also have a 5.3L LC9 on the floor of my garage. I was initially going to go into my 85 Porsche 944, but that swap was more expensive than it was worth doing. SO, I'm putting it in the El Camino instead.

I am in the process of buying parts for the engine still, as I pull all the OEM 305 stuff out. As I am pulling out and parting together, I am doing research about the wiring. I am trying to figure out the best way about doing the wiring harness. I have been looking for a full custom made harness, but I'm unsure about if I should stick with the engine's original electronic throttle or go with an actual throttle cable.

Regardless, I'm shooting for about 400rwhp and I don't want to go any higher than that. I will be putting a 4l60e in.

Anyways, hope to find some good info in here and I'll be posting some photos up as I continue to tear it all apart and build the engine.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Lets see some pictures. Your hp goals are pretty obtainable without getting too stupid enough to drive on the street. I went the expensive route and bought a full car painless harness

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-60608?seid=srese1&gclid=CNv0hrjp5cQCFQuFaQoduSgAHA
It's not the right choice for everyone else but I didn't want to play around piggybacking oem 40 year old nasty connectors and glad that I did it that way. Have two other project cars now and will be using that same harness on both of them

As far as dbw or cable, its really your choice. If I was doing it all over again I may go with dbw just to make it cleaner underneath the hood

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor