electric water pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i was reading in chevy high performance mag that electric water pumps are a pritty good way to "release" some good hp #'s. well what about on a daily driver? i've heard some horror stories about water pumps burning out on the highway and engines burning up. so what do you guys think? i wanna drive my elky more oftem than not, electric, or not?

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
i heard the same horror stories too!

but ill do it still ....i read lot of posts that said total satisfaction whatever the situation ...and ill be able to put a double roller timing chain set up in my LT1
Dan

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
The big advantage to mechanical is if the motor is turning, you know it's working.

dirty joe

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2006
405 okc
i love my electric water pump on my 455 poncho. works great!!! my car never gets above 180, and i dont usually turn on the fan :) another advantage on electric water pump, if you do overheat, or just sittin somewhere really, you can turn the car off and keep the pump on

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would not use one on a daily driver, but on a occasional street/mostly strip car it is a good idea because of the ability to circulate water with the engine off while in the staging lanes. Just like with a fan, reliability goes with simplicity, and simplicity is with an engine driven accessory. It also depends on the manufacturer as to how good or bad it is. A friend of mine got a really good one for his 351W Drag car for a reasonable price that seems to work well and was of good quality. The manufacturer said they ran one for a year straight and it did not burn out. I do not remember who made it, but it was made locally to me in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I myself would not run one on any of my cars simply because they all are required to be reliable, street driven cars. I deliver pizza for a living and my Hot Rods act as back up vehicles to my Nissan truck, should it ever break down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor