Emergency Brake Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
1984 El Camino - My emergency brake won't stay put. When I press it down it pops back up. My tech says the ratchet on the brake is bad and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience with this and know of a part number or source of parts? I'm not sure if I just need a single part or an assembly.
Thanks in advance.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I found a few control modules, but I don't know the proper part number. There are a few to pick from. Any one a part number?

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GM p/n 1261658 or 25503396 for a new parking brake assembly if that's your problem. G-body wherever you find one should fit.

If it's not locking, check to see why. It could be the ratchet mechanism, but 99% of the time it's because something is bent. See if you can find out what and bend it back.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Before you BUY ANYTHING W-D 40 the entire mechanism. I went through the PITA of changing mine only to find out the old one worked after it was out and I lubed it up.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Both great suggestions. Almost seams obvious now, like.... Why didn't I think of that. I'll take those steps and in the mean time start looking for a source of parts.

Also looking back I think I should have titled this thread "Parking Brake...' and not emergency brake.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor