Emissions overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
Just bought new:
egr valve, thermal vac switches for the EGR/Canister Purge & Distributor Advance. Also, got the spark delay valve, new pcv and canister filter. Looks like I'll be losing the EFE with the new headers, so I'll cap that vacuum line and plug up the water neck where that switch was.

Why did I bother? One switch was loose... :mrgreen:

Sound good?

id love to say yes, but al of what you said is chinese to me. i dont have to worry about emmitions. (yay cook county for having ONE thing right).

beermonkey9417 said:
id love to say yes, but al of what you said is chinese to me. i dont have to worry about emmitions. (yay cook county for having ONE thing right).

oh! Cook COunty has no emissions? So I can title and licence my Gutlass in Chicago?

What's up with DC? I'm in NYC (cough, cough) and a 79' is exempt.

I have no emissions either, hence the duals w/ no cat. But I should have been clearer, if I keep the EGR heads will stay in the right temp range with no power loss (so they say). The other switches work with the vacuum advance on cold starts and the canister, I figure if it's there, it outta be working. The EFE helps the engine warm up by restricting the exhaust, increading flow through the intake crossover, but that'll be gone with the new exhaust...

ok..i gotta question...here in texas cars older than 25 years are exempt from emissions testing...so i was thinking of getting rid of all the extra vac lines, the smog pump and whatnot out of my ss....would this have any bad affects on my motor?...my motor is pretty much stock except fot the carb, intake, and headers....

Some here know better than me, but it's my understanding that if you lose the EGR valve, you can run hot and run the risk of pinging. Not sure about the vacuum advance delay thing. I'm keeping mine.

I'm except too in Virgina too, btw...

Well I'm a big fan of EFE even with dual exhaust since I run all year and in February it's nice to have EFE as well as THERMAC for drivability. Charcoal canister holds gas tank/fuel bowl fumes and reburns them so it's a good thing to keep. EGR is a tricky subject. I once posted on another Forum if it was bad or good and the concensuss was to keep it. NOX is eliminated and you can run more timing but I never saw where it affected general operating temps, as it's only high combustion chamber temps that create NOX. I suppose deleting it could cause a slight rise in head temps but keeping the advanced EGR timing would definitly cause pinging, it needs to be set back to pre EGR specs. I kept it as well as EFE and the cannister but I deleted just about everything else as well as the computer and she runs great but I tuned it as a 79' Trans Am with 301 4 speed would be, and that goes for carb and distributor settings.

That's interesting. I'm totally assuming the efe will be gone. How do you keep it on a bigger collector? Also, heard today that the shop hasn't even started yet.... Supposed to done this week. AAAHH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor