Engine issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
Ok here's the deal, I have a chevy 383 and it idles fine , but when I rev it to 2000+ rpm is sounds like its misfiring/stuttering, so far i adjusted changed out the carb (670 /770 street avenger) replaced all my distributor parts, adjusted timing several times, checked my valvetrain made adjustments as needed. checked the wires and brought a new set just to see, same problem

The engine has a brand new timing chain, new AFR195 heads, New Air Gap rpm manifold , retro roller howards camshaft & roller lifters

Any suggestions?

Blake442 said:
Are the plug wires arranged in the correct firing order on your distributor?
Are they on the correct plugs?

Yes they are correct, If i run it up too about 3000 rpm for about 10 sec or so it will shut off after

You mean the engine will shut off? Do you have an MSD ignition?

jrm81bu said:
You mean the engine will shut off? Do you have an MSD ignition?

No MSD, just a summit HEI distributor, I changed out the coil, compacitor, module, cap n rotor with name brand crap no change. While it's popping sputtering and all that at 3000 rpm when i take my foot of the gas it will die once it goes back to idle.

This is just a thought. Have you checked your ground for the ignition system? I would look there next maybe also pop that cap off and see if you have carbon tracks. If there is carbon tracks wipe the cap out and see if that fixes it.

RUSTY OL BU said:
This is just a thought. Have you checked your ground for the ignition system? I would look there next maybe also pop that cap off and see if you have carbon tracks. If there is carbon tracks wipe the cap out and see if that fixes it.

cap n rotor are good to go, I'm making new plug wires and changing my plugs as we type, so i'll see what happens or throw my wallet at it again

It could be either a bad plug wire or a bad / cracked plug.... When did it dtart to happen? Was the engine new or old? I would squirt down the plug wires with Spray-9 and run it in the dark to see if anything is jumping. I had a bad wire on my 88 302 Ford engine that was shorting out to the metal heat tape and arching to the header one time.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor