Engine stall after driving 8-10 miles, starts back up just fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
After warming the engine up, I can drive total 8-10 miles fine before the engine begins to buck and skip... During the bucking and skipping, if I put my foot on the gas it accelerates for a moment and goes back to bucking and stalls if I repeat to press the gas to keep it started...

Another scenario, if I let it coast for a moment without giving it gas and then press the gas pedal, it drives normally for about another 8-10 miles before it bucks and skips again...

If it stalls, I'm able to start it right back up... Fuel PSI at the carb is 8-9 psi. Carb is an Edelbrock 1405 600 cfm and an Edelbrock single plane intake.

Posted something similar in a Facebook group and didn't get very many responses, but a guy did mention something about the possibility of my fuel bowl being clogged or the fuel/air ratio screws holes are clogged and to remove the top end of the carburetor and inspect these parts including the floaters...

Sound about right ? Or should I be looking for something else ?

Another note: Seems like a lack of power...

1st gear take off seems a little slow and I'm not able to burn rubber... If I attempt to spin the tires while holding the brake in Drive it revs but no tire spinning, and as soon as I let off the gas pedal it stalls... Or maybe I'm not doing it right ? 🤷🏾‍♂😂

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
If that doesn’t work put a good Q jet on it. These are the type of drivability issues that make me hate Edelbrocks.
I hear people knocking Edelbrocks all the time. My Edelbrock is nearly 4yrs old, I've never had a problem with it. I do, and have had a pressure regulator for probably 15yrs.
Maybe that is why mine has been good to me?

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I hear people knocking Edelbrocks all the time. My Edelbrock is nearly 4yrs old, I've never had a problem with it. I do, and have had a pressure regulator for probably 15yrs.
Maybe that is why mine has been good to me?
What are my possibilities of finding one (FPR) in a scrap yard that will work for my carburated gbody ?

Also, if I cant find one in a scrap yard, would something like this work ? Or if you could show me an example, that would help alot.
Screenshot_20210911-093509_Amazon Shopping.jpg

chevyryda

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2021
After warming the engine up, I can drive total 8-10 miles fine before the engine begins to buck and skip... During the bucking and skipping, if I put my foot on the gas it accelerates for a moment and goes back to bucking and stalls if I repeat to press the gas to keep it started...

Another scenario, if I let it coast for a moment without giving it gas and then press the gas pedal, it drives normally for about another 8-10 miles before it bucks and skips again...

If it stalls, I'm able to start it right back up... Fuel PSI at the carb is 8-9 psi. Carb is an Edelbrock 1405 600 cfm and an Edelbrock single plane intake.

Posted something similar in a Facebook group and didn't get very many responses, but a guy did mention something about the possibility of my fuel bowl being clogged or the fuel/air ratio screws holes are clogged and to remove the top end of the carburetor and inspect these parts including the floaters...

Sound about right ? Or should I be looking for something else ?

Another note: Seems like a lack of power...

1st gear take off seems a little slow and I'm not able to burn rubber... If I attempt to spin the tires while holding the brake in Drive it revs but no tire spinning, and as soon as I let off the gas pedal it stalls... Or maybe I'm not doing it right ? 🤷🏾‍♂😂
I agree with CK80. I think your fuel pressure is too high and might be causing flooding in the carb or blockage in the return line. I once had the same carb with an inline fuel filter which wasn’t sealed properly. If it was hot and I shut the engine off for about 10 minutes the carb would flood. The only way to get it started was hold the accelerator to the floor. Next time you have the issue (road room permitted) floor it. If it keeps running you‘re flooding the carb. As a reference I once had a 396 bored .20 over, big cam with an a Edelbrock double pump, I set my fuel regulator to 7.5psi; it ran great! Never stalled or bogged. The engine with Blue is the 396 with a Holley now. The engine with the Green is the same carb. That inline fuel filter is the one I had to seal; it screwed together.

Attachments

• 4E7E8C8F-74E4-4ADE-A46F-FC2B489025C3.jpeg
    4E7E8C8F-74E4-4ADE-A46F-FC2B489025C3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 9C9FED42-1B33-4ADD-BBDD-0EA94B9D36C0.jpeg
    9C9FED42-1B33-4ADD-BBDD-0EA94B9D36C0.jpeg
    998.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor