engine wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathproof

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2009
saint louis
hi, i got my hands on an 81 malibu two door recently and am going to pull the mystery engine and trans out (pontiac 400/turbo 400?).
i'm installing the 350/350 combo out of my wrecked el camino because i know it runs like champ.
anyway the engine bay still has a ton of wires from fuel injection, smog, a/c and god knows what else. i'm thinking the only wires i really need are the distributor, alternator, heater and some power for the electric choke. can i just chuck every thing else? or should wrap em up outta the way?
thanks for any info you can give

If I am reading your post right, you have a Malibu... with a fuel injected Pontiac engine? I'd kinda like to see that 😀

no the fuel injection is from the original v6, i think and i have no idea where the pontiac came from. thats why i 'm gonna pull it.

deathproof said:
no the fuel injection is from the original v6, i think and i have no idea where the pontiac came from. thats why i 'm gonna pull it.

None of the stock engines were fuel injected in that.

jrm81bu said:
deathproof said:

None of the stock engines were fuel injected in that.

good to know, thanks.

but the engine bay is swimming in wires to nowhere. i shouldn't need most of them for just running the engine and heat right?
i really suck at reading wire diagrams.

All the wires coming from the huge harness that dissappears under the heater/AC area are computer wiring. You can delete those. All of the important wiring that runs the motor come from the firewall connector under the brake booster. What I can't understand is what's wrong with a Pontiac 400/Turbo 400 combination? That's a powerfull set up.

it would be if it ran properly enough to use as a daily driver. i've got to much time and money over the last few years in my 350 rig to get rid of it. i know it runs and is reliable. the pontiac needs a lot of work. i might keep it for a truck but ill probably sell it.

thanks for the info everybody.

There's a pretty major section of wiring that's right behind the engine and splits off into two directions, towards the booster and towards the starter. Basically in a nutshell the wiring inside there is for the alternator, starter, and distributor. Also there's some wiring that stretches from the bulkhead behind the wiper motor to the left front lights. Then from there goes to the right front lights. Then last but not least wires to the blower resistor. Really not that bad compared to other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor