Escape From the Prison Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Since someone was asking for more local color...

My buddy, Jerod came over Friday. We decided to do a little trip to the back side of Silver City to a peak called War Eagle. We were able to fit both steeds in the back of a short bed Chevy with the toolbox in place.

Unlike last time, we decided to drive a little closer and enjoy the ride a bit more.

Most of the trail would be like a really neglected gravel driveway -- narrow and rutted. There was also a good portion that is single track.
War Eagle in the distance.

It's unfortunate that the smoke and phone-grade camera really don't convey the scenery. This is at 7800' (home is 2300) so those Yamahas did some climbing.

It ended up being a pretty short day so we were back home, cleaned up, and sitting in a Mexican restaurant by 3. Perfect end to day 1.

Day 2 (today) started just a little earlier. We loaded up and headed NW this time. Trespassed through a farmer's field and unloaded a few miles above Homedale. Then we rode west toward Owyhee reservoir. This is a much more sparse region.

Saw lots of cattle in open range, a couple snakes and a Coyote. No deer or antelope though. This time of year they hang out closer to the corn and alfalfa in the valleys below. Most of our riding today was seldom-used roads interspersed with, "Hey, see that rimrock over there? Should be a road just at the base." Followed by a mile or two of cross-country.

After we ran 15-20 miles over the first range we dropped down into Tunnel Canyon. I think I mentioned in the old thread that Jerod spent his summers here because his grandfather worked at the dam. He rode these trails a lot as a youth so he took me on a tour of the irrigation canals. The water comes out of the dam and runs through a combination of pipelines and open canals. There are tunnels that bore through the mountains that were built in the '30s and he told me one is over five miles long. In the winter it is dry and you can see through to the other end.-- it's that straight and flat! This one is dated 1932.

Look close and you can see Jerod climbing the ladder on the side. He's 6'5" if that gives you an idea of scale.

A few miles of climbing beyond that put us far above the west rim of the lake. It's about 50 miles long in total. I saw one single boat. Again, too bad about the smoke. At one point in the morning we rode about 1/4 mile on the road along the river below the dam. Plenty of climbing again for team Yamaha.

It was another great day in the saddle. We got loaded up and back to town before it got too warm and were enjoying a pizza at a local spot by 2.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Beautiful country.

I seriously doubt a project like that irrigation system could be constructed today....too many 2017 $$$, and too much under-engineering in today's projects.

Thanks for the updates!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Agree 100%. No chance of pulling that off today. The environmental impact studies alone would take decades just to find out that some obscure insect might be inconvenienced. Still, this is an impressive display of American can-do spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I do not know if you mentioned it in earlier posts but what is the population in your immediate area? Looks like you have some great wide open spaces.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The closest town to where we were riding this morning is Adrian, Oregon and lists a pooulation of 177. The Oregon border is a 15 minute drive from my house. My town has 890 residents. Homedale (next town over), about 2600. Only 11000 in the entire county. Across the river in Canyon and Ada counties there are around 650,000 people within 20 minutes drive. So, I'm close to whatever I might need but on the edge of a whole lotta nuthin'.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The closest town to where we were riding this morning is Adrian, Oregon and lists a population of 177. The Oregon border is a 15 minute drive from my house. My town has 890 residents. Homedale (next town over), about 2600. Only 11000 in the entire county. Across the river in Canyon and Ada counties there are around 650,000 people within 20 minutes drive. So, I'm close to whatever I might need but on the edge of a whole lotta nuthin'.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
My kind of place. Saw rabbit pics and many years ago I bought my wife a pet rabbit. I named her Bar B Que. She hated my wife but loved me as she would make a grinding noise when I was near her and would grunt at my wife and be aggressive. It was a sad day when she died. Can you believe.. a friggin rabbit brought tears to my eyes. Dogs yes!! but a rabbit. I mean d**n!!!!!

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
The closest town to where we were riding this morning is Adrian, Oregon and lists a population of 177. The Oregon border is a 15 minute drive from my house. My town has 890 residents. Homedale (next town over), about 2600. Only 11000 in the entire county. Across the river in Canyon and Ada counties there are around 650,000 people within 20 minutes drive. So, I'm close to whatever I might need but on the edge of a whole lotta nuthin'.

Sounds like my area in AZ in 1991. My town had about 2900 when we moved here. Jumped up to about 18,000 today over a large area. The county I am in is almost as big as CT where I grew up. Last I knew about 45,000 live in my county. (CT when I left had about 3.2 million people, Az, the whole state at that time was around 3.7 million. That is what I had a hard time with. Tons of people in a small area vs people spread out in a huge area).

Even with the huge growth spurt the past 20 years, there is still massive amounts of open land and I never feel cramped, even when I go to Tucson which has really grown also since I moved here, but it takes just a half hour of driving and you are in the wilderness again.

My aha moment when I first moved here was when my Dad and I visited a Relative who had moved to Douglas Az, about 3 hours from me. On the way home we took a scenic route 82 that basically was the easiest way for us from Sierra Vista to Nogales AZ. Dad had dropped his snack on the floor and I pulled over so he could find it.Plus I needed a stretch break anyway. Turned off the car and lights and it was the first time I noticed that in looking 360 degrees there were no lights anywhere. You could see a good distance, but I never had been somewhere that was as dark as it was and not being in a forest area, something like that. No wonder astronomers love it our here. The sky that night was the clearest I had ever seen. I had only been in AZ a few weeks and something that simple just blew my mind. Thats when I knew I was not in CT anymore! lol

Sounds and looks like you have a great situation where you live. You get that space where you do not feel crowded, but close enough to get stuff that does not take all day. It is nice to have the best of both worlds. That is what appealed to me for my area when I decided to make a change.

Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
In the mist of a hurricane coming the air is clean and refreshing. It is great to appreciate life

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Forgot to mention, The Compound is under contract yet again. Hopefully this buyer can keep it together better than the last one. Not expecting it to close until some time in November.
Well this deal is still in play but because it's a contingent sale, that buyer remains "bumpable". Found out last night that we have a second full price offer so I'll be signing papers later today on that one. Either deal could still fall apart for a million reasons but at least we are theoretically moving forward.
I never want to have to sell another house again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor