Evaporator Question Update 1/31 Got Some Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
By looking inside the heater box, I'm assuming that the foam filter was meant more to keep excess debris out of the evaporator core more than being a moisture guard.
Except that the filter is on the DOWNSTREAM side of the evaporator. Upstream side sees the fan. The evaporator core itself collects all the debris to save the filter in this case. :)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Thats exactly what it was Jack. And I think the plastics and materials used these days keep doing that forever. Ever notice the film on the inside of your windshield ? If you dont smoke and your windows are greasy inside its gotta be coming from somewhere.
I have noticed same greasy film on the inside windshield of my wife's and daughter's cars and there cars are two years old. My car does it once and awhile but more in the winter than summer but just on the windshield. The greasy film reminds me of the lubricant they use in coolant, but no coolant smell it in the cabin. Could it be the A/C evaporator, it does have oil running threw it. I do agree about the gasses the plastics gives off new car smell but just the windshield has the film and not the side glass. It is strange

Reactions: 1 users

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
Of all the new cars i have worked on i cant say I have ever noticed such film on the windshields, the only time i see it with my charger its just humidity and a few seconds with defrost and it's gone, but I can verify that the way these new cars smell fresh off the truck with the plastic on the seats and stuff is absolutely horrible especially if its been sitting in the sun all day, however our detail dept does such a good job I've never noticed them smelling funny after new car prep. As far as evaporators are concerned we replace a lot for leaking due to corrosion, but we also do a bunch on RAM trucks, for a long time having a cabin air filter was an option on them, and if a guy was in dirty conditions a lot with no filter the evaps get plugged solid with dirt and mud, I've done 4 this month and doing another Monday

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Except that the filter is on the DOWNSTREAM side of the evaporator. Upstream side sees the fan. The evaporator core itself collects all the debris to save the filter in this case. :)
Ah, point well taken. :unsure: If anything, the filter should be fastened to the opposite site of the evaporator.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Even though the foam material on my original evaporator is similar to the new filter foam I used to replace it maybe calling it a "filter" because of what it is made of is misleading everyone from it's actual function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor