Ever smash up a bath tub?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well I got my Grandson to help me get it away from the wall. Then we tipped it over onto a sheet of plywood. Holy crap this thing is heavy. No way it is going down my stairs except in pieces. The casting say American Standard Sanitary Co. 10/21/1949! I have a tarp and HF moving blanket too. Now to soak my sledgehammer in water to swell the wood for a while then have at it.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Oh, it's cast iron all right. If it was just porcelain it would be done already. As it is my Grandson want's me to wait for the wekend so he can help smash it up.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Broke up a piano string support with a hammer in the house along with other cast iron items. Broke pretty easily. Extra protection , such as a faceshield ain't a bad idea.
Be crazy, not stupid.
The older ya get, the more ya disassemble stuff to move it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Sledge hammer is best , I removed one a couple years ago carried out the big pieces small ones went in 5 gl bucket .

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Flipping it upside down will make breaking it much easier!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
UPDATE: Well, my helper got sick so I had to go it alone. Therefore I tried something all the bloggers said you could not do. I grabbed my big 7" Milwaukee angle grinder with a cut-off disc to score the tub maybe helping it crack easier. As soon as I hit the metal I saw that it cut just fine. HUH? They all said a cut-off wheel would not work on cast iron. It cut slower than the sheet metal when I cut up my Trams Am but it ate less discs. So I just cut the darn thing apart and carted the chunks down the stairs with a hand truck. And very little porcelain chips to clean up. Actually the biggest mess was the black dust iron filings that I kept sucking up with my shop vac. So now the chunks are in the back of my Bonnewagon and I will take them to the salvage place next week. Epilogue: TUB IS GONE!!! IMG_0995.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor