Exhaust hanger - CAST iron?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys, I bought a universal exhaust kit that came with clamps and hangers, see “generic” pic for the type of hanger i am referring to. The second pic is a piece of the actual hanger, which looks like cast iron. Surely it is just regular steel?? I would like to weld these on …

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7637.jpeg
    IMG_7637.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
They're steel, and quite possibly cheap steel at that. The casting process would not be cost effective to make 1/8" thick rectangular straps with holes, and the strength of iron is not required nor would that amount of stiffness be a good thing- they've gotta bend.

Feel free to weld until you're heart's content, and paint what ya can. The coating on these cheap exhaust parts looks perfect for about a year before it starts to rust here in KS if you drive it.

Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
They're steel, and quite possibly cheap steel at that. The casting process would not be cost effective to make 1/8" thick rectangular straps with holes, and the strength of iron is not required nor would that amount of stiffness be a good thing- they've gotta bend.

Feel free to weld until you're heart's content, and paint what ya can. The coating on these cheap exhaust parts looks perfect for about a year before it starts to rust here in KS if you drive it.
Thanks! The “texture” had me wondering

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Thanks! The “texture” had me wondering
Absolutely understandable, especially considering how many things are made from powdered metal these days. Items that are cast typically don't like to bend much before breaking but I'm sure that some cheap Chinese versions are made from cast something-or-other.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor