EXHAUST LEAK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
i think i have an exhaust leak, when i'm driving around, my eyes get irratated and i literally smell like i was working on the car, i know that's not good for my health but whats a good way to find where it's coming from. I really need to get that fixed asap as it's a health hazard as well as takes away from the driving experience and the gurls don't like when my cologne is exhaust fumes..... :(

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
your best bet is to listen for it.
have someone put their hand over the muffler outlet (use a rag...its hot)
and listen for where the noise is coming from.... a hissing type of sound.

or you could take it to a local muffler shop....from the sounds of it, thats probably where you're gonna end up having it fixed

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Does your exhaust dump in front of the rear axle, or do you have full tail pipes that go out behind the tire or under the bumper?

If it dumps in front of the axle, it's pretty easy for it to roll back into the car, especially at stop lights and such.

If it's a leak, it will make itself obvious if you listen carefully, and putting your hand near it will confirm it. With the motor running, carefully feel around all the junctions in the pipes to see if you feel any leaks.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
yes i do here a hissing sound, and i'm pretty sure i know where it's coming from. you see where the header collecters and exhaust pipe meet, where it bolts on with 3 bolts, it isn't tight, there is a gap and the gasket has play, but my mechanic said that it's not suppose to be tight, where the gasket is sandwiched in between the two, i thought it was suppose to be tight

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
That mechanic is all kinds of wrong.

That flange where the headers meet the exhaust needs to be tight.
You might as well go out and get new gaskets for the collectors, as running with them loose will quickly burn them up.

When exhaust leaks directly underneath you like that, it doesn't take long for the smell to creep into the car.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Go get some aluminum collector gaskets from advance and be done with it. They're worth the money.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
thats' what i thought. he said they'd burn up if they were tight...i think maybe he's hit the peace pipe too much in his day...do the aluminum ones work better? yeah i look stoned myself when i get out the car and my eyes are red cuz the fumes irritate em so bad! its not bad when i'm driving but once i'm at a light, that's when its bad, so much sometimes my eyes start to water! not good....

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
i have a very similar problem, except i havent noticed any fumes yet, just can hear it slightly when idling next to a curb and the sound bounces back right, the onl;y trouble is, where the flange with the 3 bolts is has seemed to have warped outwards, so i not longer have a flat flange where the header bolts to the exhaust. will the aluminum gaskets compensate for this or do i have a bigger problem on my hands?

SV6 REGAL

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2006
Ont Canada
One way to find a leak is to have the car on lift and plug the exhaust pipe with a rag and pour a little oil in the motor when it is running it will smoke were it leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor