Fabricator looking for Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2011
Hi There,
I'm a fabricator and welder looking for what g-body fans would like to see built. I'm just getting started on this so any input would be very helpful, so far I've started building some stainless valve covers for my Malibu and been thinking of building an intake and control arms I work with stainless, aluminum, and steel I also could do some stuff with cro-moly and titanium. I'm looking to start a small fabricating business catering to car guy's but I think I should start with a particular model and since I own a 78 malibu and love it I figure G-bodies are a good start. I will post some pics of the valve covers when there done. Thanks in advance for any input or Ideas. The name of my company is Hardy Fabrication. I may change the name down the road. Also I can be reached at 413-548-0439.................Thanks Chris

how about a full c5 or c6 corvette suspension set up complete with the rear transaxle in a very unassuming malibu :twisted:

wow, that's really cool! Thanks for offering your services in a positive way on this forum. I'm sure you're gonna get tons of ideas.

The G-Body calls for endless aftermarket upgrades that involve metal work. To start the list off...
- dual exhaust transmission cross member. There are many out there, but alot are quite bulky and heavy. There are some less heavy duty ones, like the 1" round tube ones I've seen on GbodyParts.com, but I question the strength of those on a mild powered car.
- driveshaft loops. Again, there are many styles out there, but not many for custom transmission swaps, which are now becomming more common... 700r4s, T56s, etc...
- rear control arms.
- bracing! there's a huge demand for body/chassis bracing. Everything from fender braces to brackets that strengthen the rear control arm mounts.
- custom engine bracketry and mounts
- etc...

the list goes on!

glad you're gonna look into this for the many of us on this forum!

-custom radio and gauge bezels
-non A/C heater box
-heater A/C delete plate
-custom grille's

There are a lot a possibilities with GBody's. Can't wait to see some of your product :mrgreen:

RITTER said:
-custom radio and gauge bezels
-non A/C heater box
-heater A/C delete plate
-custom grille's

There are a lot a possibilities with GBody's. Can't wait to see some of your product :mrgreen:
I like all them idea's exspecially the custom grills hard to find them for g-bodys...

They nailed it pretty well. Two to add specifically.. A brace that ties the rear frame tails together. Eliminate the tuneing fork harmonic, help make our cars BMW solid and handle better. The rear bumper setup does not do this job. Also the Grand Prix front inner fender to core support.

Thanks for all the input, I'm looking into solid motor mounts right now and also I think I'll look into some the bracing some of you were talking about. Like I said I have an 78 Malibu 4-door that I'm going to use as the guinea pig for all the parts I make I don't want to sell something I haven't tried out myself. Also I was thinking about those transmission cross-members I think I have a solution for weight and strength but I'll have to research it a bit more. And also I'm going to look into what dogshit was suggesting about tying the rear frame tails together seeing mine are in pretty bad shape this may be a good prototype.Thanks again and hope to hear more I will post pics of things as I build them. If anyone needs a custom built piece don't hesitate to give me a call or shoot me an email at [email protected]........................Thanks Chris

Chris, are you looking for work with sheet metal (up to 7 gauge) or more along the lines of plate, flat & round stock, and tubing? Just curious.

Doug

Where is your shop (City and/or state)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor