Factory Rally Tire Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodswagon1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2013
Got a question I've been looking for replacement tires and I'm wondering what every one is running on stock rally's. Currently I've got 205/70/14 RWL (severly cracked) what's the biggest size I can run on the factory rallys having a hard time finding RWL that wont cost me a left nut such as BFG's. Also are the older pre 78 I believe 15" rallys an option? I laid my eyes on a set today the guy thought he had 14" tires they were 15" and the tires were junk but they were mounted on 15" rallys all 5 with rings caps and all the chrome. I acted not interested and was only looking for tires but I can snag them for $150. If they'll fit I'm thinking I could find 15's easier than 14's.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you get the 15" rims it will definitely open up your options for tires sizes and I doubt you will have any fitment issues as long as you don't get carried away going to big on tires. The first thing I did on any year gbody I would buy 78' and up would be up size to 15" rims if it still had 14" on there.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
II have the stock ralley 14x6 wheels. I think either running 205 or 215's in the front with the 225x70 in the rear would look really good. Discount tire Direct.com seem to have the best prices on the Cooper Cobra RWL tires. However Summit Racing guarantees to beat any competitors pricing. So you should be able to get them to drop their 'oversized' fee and even drop the price on their tires by a couple of bucks.

Woodswagon1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks for the info, think I'm gonna pick me up either way I go.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
??? $150 for a complete set of 15 Inch OLDS rallys is a steal. Ive been looking for a set for a while and cant find a decent set anywhere near that coin. You should pick em up for sure

Woodswagon1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2013
88cscb said:
??? $150 for a complete set of 15 Inch OLDS rallys is a steal. Ive been looking for a set for a while and cant find a decent set anywhere near that coin. You should pick em up for sure

Yep 150 for the complete set of 5, 4 have been painted black and one is the still the stock blue color. Would you be interested in them my bro in law hauls long haul and has dropped things up for me in the past for a modest fee. The 14's seem to look more deep dish to me maybe its just the shape of the trim ring but that is the only noticeable difference I notice.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
Yes, do you have any pics or info on the back spacing?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
More than likely, if the 14's look deeper than the 15's, the 15's probably have the wrong beauty rings installed on them. The 15s always look better when dressed properly.... :mrgreen:

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
235/60R14's up front and 245/60R14's out back. The 245's are the same height as stock tires. There are way more options with 15" rims.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
I'm running 225/70 BFG RWLs on the original 14" SSIIIs. I'm going to eventually upgrade to either 15" rallyes or aftermarket 16".

I went with that size to help lower RPM slightly but mostly they fill-up the wheel-well due to it being stock ride height. Also the RWL help break up the sea of black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor