Familiar with G-bodies looking to upgrade front brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Chow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2017
Nor Cal
Our first family car is a G-body. 1987 turbo Buick. I took that one a bit far and ran 7.97 at 175. I rolled it in 2008 at a drag event (legitimate one). I still have another turbo Buick that I'm modding for street use and I have an 96 Camaro for drag events (still building).

Now looking to upgrade the front brakes on my 87 turbo Buick street car.
The stock ones really suck and don't want to loose all the spare 15" rims I have...last count was ten+ Ouch.
In contact with one of the forum members now.

Next thing for the 87 turbo Buick is to replace the front seat covers, fix the rear window defogger, and replace the stock windshield washer pump.

Happy Friday!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Chris,

The 11" S10 blazer brakes are the best upgrade that will fit inside GN wheels. None of the 12" brakes will, including the B-body brakes (the smallest of the factory 12" brake conversions) will fit inside the cramped GN wheel. T-type wheel, yes, GN wheel, no.

The S10 spindles are available at nearly every junkyard: 1998-2003 2wd S10 Blazer (either 2dr or 4dr). These give you sealed bearing spindles, dual piston calipers and the ability to bolt on larger LS1 or C5 brakes in the future.

Chris Chow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2017
Nor Cal
Thanks for confirming.
I read from a fellow GN that his braking distances were halved. Of course anything's got to be better than the stock mono-piston caliper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor