Fan Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Double V I never even gave it a thought about putting the computer back in that I wouldn't need the B&M lockup convertor that I installed might just take that out and let the computer control that as well. As for the carb and distributor I'm just going to keep them on the car since I am running an RPM intake it runs just fine. Now all I need is to find time to install the computer and troubleshoot the fan speed problem.

Well I replaced the relay and still nothing but high going to replace the motor since it is the original one from 1984 doesn't seem to blow very hard. And I had a new climate control unit in the box replaced it and still no change so that leaves the motor maybe tonight I will install the computer. Thanks guys will keep you updated just in case this happens to you. :blam:

If the only reason you are going to put the CCC back is to get the A/C to work that seems like a lot of work for a simple fix.
It does seem there are two issues here, one is the blower speed and that was just addressed. The second is the ECM controls the relay on the A/C unit which controls the compressor. Since you have a converter lock up in place and if it works good i would leave it alone. You are not going to connect the carb or dist. or any real function of the EMC so it is nice to have but you won't really be using it. So as posted above just remove the relay and connect the two wires together. Thats my two cents worth.

Jim H. said:
Thanks Double V I never even gave it a thought about putting the computer back in that I wouldn't need the B&M lockup convertor that I installed might just take that out and let the computer control that as well. As for the carb and distributor I'm just going to keep them on the car since I am running an RPM intake it runs just fine. Now all I need is to find time to install the computer and troubleshoot the fan speed problem.

Not so fast! You cannot use the computer just for lockup. You have to use the whole CCC system ( so that means the CCC carb/distributor ) or none of it. In your case, reinstalling the CCC system would not be your easiest/best option. Your issues are not CCC related anyway, but you do have to alter some wiring.

Ok Double V the wires I'm looking for are located where the computer hooks up at am I correct or is there another place I can short the wires out under the hood. I have my kids this week and probably won't get to it till this weekend but thanks for everyone's help so far can't wait to work on her and get the A/C working.

There's a relay for the AC bolted onto the AC module. This relay is not going to be used since you're not running the CCC system. There is a square shaped connector near the rear of the passenger side valve cover. One of those wires should be black with a white stripe. I don't remember where that wire went ( to the relay I'm guessing ), but this wire now needs to be spliced into the black w/ green stripe wire coming off the AC compressor plug. This esentually bypasses the AC relay without the ECM interfering.

I live in Ohio too. The weather's been crap. No need to rush getting your AC working any time soon. Before splicing/cutting anything, you might want to post some detailed pics of your wires/connectors so it will be much easier to explain what you need and what you can scrap.

I would like to point out that I'm far from accomplished when it comes to wiring. This was all extremely easy to figure out though ( even for me ) because I have a GM electrical service manual for my car....something everyone should have.

Here is a pic since i just removed mine. You will find it under the hood mounted on the A/C unit. Trace it a few inches back to a wiring plastic tee covering and open that fitting up. You can remove the relay here and splice the two wires together. You can also remove the connector shown in the pic as it is wired into this relay. The other end of this connector goes to the ECM. You should be left with two green wires connecting together on a larger wiring fitting. Just tape off those two greens and tuck it back into the plastic fitting and it should look nice and clean. We talk of black with white and black with green because that is the colors for 1985. If yours are different then the two wires you are splicing together are a bit larger on that relay then the other two.

Attachments

• to detete 005.JPG
    to detete 005.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 343
Hey thanks DoubleV was able to get ac compressor to kick on by shorting out the two wires had to add some 134 still having problems with fan speed control though just have high checked all my wiring everything checked out so I have no idea what the problem is but at least I have air conditioning for the long ride to Arlington Texas for the power tour. If you guys think of any reason why my fan controls don't work except for high speed let me know I also put a new climate control in the car also but put the original one in and no change so right now I'm at a loss.

Jim H. said:
Hey thanks DoubleV was able to get ac compressor to kick on by shorting out the two wires had to add some 134 still having problems with fan speed control though just have high checked all my wiring everything checked out so I have no idea what the problem is but at least I have air conditioning for the long ride to Arlington Texas for the power tour. If you guys think of any reason why my fan controls don't work except for high speed let me know I also put a new climate control in the car also but put the original one in and no change so right now I'm at a loss.
It's your blower motor resistor see my previous response on the first page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor