FE2 suspension question

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin.ca

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2008
Wet Coast of Canadia
Hi. does anyone know what constitutes an FE2 suspension (circa 1981), option, compared to stock? I know it's got front and rear sway bars (1¼" and 7/8") and front frame brace (?jounce bars?), but are the springs and shocks any different than standard?

Thanks

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Yes those are jounce bars. Springs should have a higher rate and there should be a quick ratio steering box with the 4 bolt cover.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
martin.ca said:
Thanks for the reply. Should both front and rear springs have higher rates? What should the rates be? I'll have a close look at the saginaw steering box too.

Yes the both should... I think around 420 for the front and 120 rear? Still pretty weak. Even though they are upgrades from the factory I don't consider them sufficient, along with those sway bars either. Keep the jounce bars and look at bigger sways and firmer springs if you're looking for substantial handling improvement.

martin.ca

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2008
Wet Coast of Canadia
Thanks. The steering box does seem to have 4 bolts around the periphery, and does ~3 turns lock-to-lock. But as it's a 2-tone Metallic Brown four-door with a gas-miser highway rear-end, I'm not worried about carving corners too much. It does handle better than most would expect.

These are the spring rates ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor