Final sanding 400. Wet or dry???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Going with a very simple solid white. No metallic for my first spray job.
Single stage or base clear? If it's single stage you can get away with a lot more and white hides a lot of sins. I've gotten away with murder on white cars because it will be all white!

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Single stage or base clear? If it's single stage you can get away with a lot more and white hides a lot of sins. I've gotten away with murder on white cars because it will be all white!
Single stage acrylic urethane. When you say a lot more what are you referring to? Higher grit?

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Single stage acrylic urethane. When you say a lot more what are you referring to? Higher grit?
Imperfections. There's a lot of old sayings and Auto body most of them date back to the 70s and 80s. If it ain't right paint it white. It'll be all white. Put the old wh*re in a nice white dress. Not that there's anything wrong with white don't get me wrong what it is is small imperfections commonly missed an overalls that are being rushed through in the industry, they don't show up on your white paint ie dirt, fisheyes, sand scratches, sags, small waves. There still there but on a white car even bad bodywork looks good, well better than it would under a dark color. On the other side of the spectrum when you do a black car everything needs to be absolutely perfect! Or it will jump out at you. And on light metallic or pearl colors the metallic or Pearl stands up on Sand scratches or pin holes changing the appearance of the pigment. It makes the scratches look darker and jump out at you. So for a first you definitely chose the right color. My only problem with white is vision while painting. Snow blind! Can't see it going on after the first coat. Some call me crazy but I'd rather paint White in a not so ideal environment. What a booth painter would call bad lighting. I use the shadows to see it going on the car 50% overlap keep it even and let it fly! I'm rambling I gotta go to work

Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
all good points clutch.single stage,solid color and it's going white?good combination for low buck,on the forgiving side,not overly experienced overall paint job.are you planning on sanding/polishing this when you're done?how many coats are you putting on?

• Agree

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Imperfections. There's a lot of old sayings and Auto body most of them date back to the 70s and 80s. If it ain't right paint it white. It'll be all white. Put the old wh*re in a nice white dress. Not that there's anything wrong with white don't get me wrong what it is is small imperfections commonly missed an overalls that are being rushed through in the industry, they don't show up on your white paint ie dirt, fisheyes, sand scratches, sags, small waves. There still there but on a white car even bad bodywork looks good, well better than it would under a dark color. On the other side of the spectrum when you do a black car everything needs to be absolutely perfect! Or it will jump out at you. And on light metallic or pearl colors the metallic or Pearl stands up on Sand scratches or pin holes changing the appearance of the pigment. It makes the scratches look darker and jump out at you. So for a first you definitely chose the right color. My only problem with white is vision while painting. Snow blind! Can't see it going on after the first coat. Some call me crazy but I'd rather paint White in a not so ideal environment. What a booth painter would call bad lighting. I use the shadows to see it going on the car 50% overlap keep it even and let it fly! I'm rambling I gotta go to work
I do have a hard time seeing the pattern and overlap while spraying my epoxy which is white as well. I actually have a headlamp on plus hold an led flashlight with weak hand. Actually going to add a few more temp lights before final spraying.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
all good points clutch.single stage,solid color and it's going white?good combination for low buck,on the forgiving side,not overly experienced overall paint job.are you planning on sanding/polishing this when you're done?how many coats are you putting on?
Yes I've read white is forgiving. That's not the exact reason I'm going this route. Just a throw back to a friend's car back in the 80's that I really liked. All trim and windows will be black ⚫
3 coats are planned and yes absolutely going to cut and buff as they say. I will be looking for information at that time. Thanks again guys

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Also as far as imperfections are concerned, I am doing everything slowly and methodically. It doesn't bother me if I have to spend 100 hours on a door I want it as close to perfect as possible. Now with the actual painting and being in a garage I'm sure there will be some imperfections but again I'm doing my best to minimize them.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor