Fire Extinguishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Since most people have a ton of money in their cars I figured I'd start this thread.
What do most of you guys have as far as fire extinguishers in your cars ?

I always had a dry chem in all of my 4x4s. Always a 2.5 lb. Over the years I used them twice to put out fires. Once in a minor accident where the car caught fire and once for VW in front of me that had an engine fire as we were leaving my job.

Back in the mid 80s I was at a car show in PA and a guy was selling extinguishers. He was doing demos of Halon extinguishers. He started a small fire with fuel in a pan. Put a shot of Halon in a cup. Held it over the pan and the fire went out on a matter of seconds. He didnt even pour it onto the fuel. I saw him do that multiple times. I was impressed. So impressed I bought two of them. Both 2.5lbs. I had them mounted right behind the front seats in my truck and wifes SUV. I used the one from my truck to put out an engine fire in a car in a shopping center in my town. Back then I could get them filled at the fire house at the site I worked at. Not a big deal. Or so I thought. Halon was no longer used on site due to the safety issues. One that was filled lost all the pressure. The other one that was never used also needed to be recharged. In the end I took them both to a place that sells firematic supplies. They took all the Halon from both extinguishers, combined them in one and recharged that. It lasted about a year.

Now that my cars are just about finished I started looking for extinguishers. Halon prices are crazy. I know for a fact that dry chem make a huge mess and are corrosive. Halotron seems to be the logical choice. Downside is theyre not cheap. Not as much as Halon but way more than dry chem. A 2.5 is well over $200. Not a lot considering the cost of building a car.
What are most you guys using ? Im thinking a 2.5. Anyone using 5lbs ? Overkill ?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a budget 2.5 lb dry chem mounted on the cage behind the passenger seat so that I can grab it easily while strapped in. I'm not too concerned about the mess, but more being able to shoot myself with it if something goes terribly wrong. I'm considering putting in a complete extinguisher system - they aren't as expensive as I expected one to be.

I have a 5lb mounted in the trunk too.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor