firebird timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2012
So i have an 81 firebird with a 400 out of a 75 grand prix. I had it running and moving until i played with the firing order and now it doesn't start. I've tried different orders but none seem to work any tips/ideas?? Thanks

SBC 400?

1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2

why would you change the firing order? where is the headshake smiley...

a pontiac distributor runs counter clockwise, firing order is the same as chevy 18436572

well best way to do it really is pull the distributor out a little, remove number 1 plug.put your finger in the spark plug hole have someone turn it over till your finger blows out,that's number 1 then drop the distributor back in with it facing number 1 redo the plug wires,fire it up turn the distributor to where the engine is running and starting go.then get the correct timing for your engine and set the timing.

another way is remove the number 1 plug,remove the distributor cap.crank the engine till it pushes your finger out of the hole on number 1. put your plug back in, see were rotor is pointing make that your number 1 and install all the plug wires in order start it up and advance the timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor