Firewall Split Loom Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think for a majority of us with black firewalls this is not much of an issue since the loom basically blends in with everything else.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
hat sounds like a good idea but instead of splicing wires why not just replace from the bulkhead out ?

If you've ever priced all the wire in the same factory colors, it's quite pricey. I thought about putting the whole harness on the table laid out and replace them all.

Then I priced it out (n) It's too much to do that for me.

Hutch

• Agree

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If you've ever priced all the wire in the same factory colors, it's quite pricey. I thought about putting the whole harness on the table laid out and replace them all.

Then I priced it out (n) It's too much to do that for me.

Hutch

In case youre interested, I bought wire to do the harness under the hood from a place called wire barn. They sell GXL automotive wire and theyre pretty cheap and they sell small amounts. I think most come in coils as small as 10'. If youre only doing the engine harness there isnt a lot of wire to buy. Really only a few colors. Red for power, purple to the starter, pink to the distributor all in 12AWG. Theres some other misc colors like dark and light green to the AC compressor. Some black and a brown to the alternator for the exciter wire. Most likely the light , wiper, and horn wires are all in decent shape. Maybe some other wires for gauges. All of those are thinner and less money.
You can also buy the correct Packard 56 and 59 terminals really cheap from multiple places in small amounts. Again, you wont need many. The biggest investment I made was buying the two crimpers from americanautowire but I wanted to make all of the crimps exactly like factory.
I guess if youre doing everything over to stock you might have to figure out how to take apart some of the connectors to all the emissions stuff but Im wiring a crate motor without the ECM. My biggest issue was getting info on wiring the new alternator which I got from guys here.

This is what I redid. Not much to it when you figure out what can be deleted. Redid the fusible links too.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0253 (002).jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Hard to really tell, and might not help since my fuse block has been relocated. The EFI harness enters the firewall directly behind the intake, and any factory wiring exits into the engine bay at same spot. For the prop valve plug there is a hole in the floor with a grommet.
20200413_203909.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Hard to really tell, and might not help since my fuse block has been relocated. The EFI harness enters the firewall directly behind the intake, and any factory wiring exits into the engine bay at same spot. For the prop valve plug there is a hole in the floor with a grommet. View attachment 148448

Looks Good !!!
Guy

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you look to the right of the steering shaft you'll see my loom.it's a bit cleaner.also i used the nylon over the plastic wire loom,it's a no brainer,no tape or ties.it wraps around itself.super clean working with/install.
DSCF4012.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
if you look to the right of the steering shaft you'll see my loom.it's a bit cleaner.also i used the nylon over the plastic wire loom,it's a no brainer,no tape or ties.it wraps around itself.super clean working with/install.
View attachment 148454

So everything runs down behind the motor ? Where did you put the compressor, alternator and sender wiring ?
I just got back from buying some insulated cable clamps. I was going to use 5/8" loom out from the bulkhead with the larger tee but after messing with all the wires I think I can use 1/2" instead. Of course thats more flexible and uses smaller connectors which will probably look a lot better. I was trying to use the OEM clamps but the insulated ones are a lot smaller. I didnt like the way they looked at first but I pulled the rubber off one and painted it with silver cadmium. Put the rubber back on and it doesnt look that bad.
Im heading back out there when I stop typing to see how I can make this look nicer. Maybe some pictures later in the day.

Reactions: 1 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Just a thought but what about running the wires that go to the passenger inside of the car behind the dash.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
So everything runs down behind the motor ? Where did you put the compressor, alternator and sender wiring ?
I just got back from buying some insulated cable clamps. I was going to use 5/8" loom out from the bulkhead with the larger tee but after messing with all the wires I think I can use 1/2" instead. Of course that's more flexible and uses smaller connectors which will probably look a lot better. I was trying to use the OEM clamps but the insulated ones are a lot smaller. I didn't like the way they looked at first but I pulled the rubber off one and painted it with silver cadmium. Put the rubber back on and it doesn't look that bad.
I'm heading back out there when I stop typing to see how I can make this look nicer. Maybe some pictures later in the day.
where did i put all that stuff??a lady never tells..I'm sorry i couldn't get back to you today with this i've run out of time.if you're still interested i'll get with ya tomorrow after work.let me ask you how much of the engine wiring is done?alt/compressor etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor