First time at the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curless

Apprentice
Jul 10, 2012
Grand Rapids
BiggsVI said:
I'm not even sure yet I seen two builds I'm interested in The first one I seen in popular hot rod mag, But I would have a more streetable cam, Edelbrocks heads & K-1 Technologies BBC 7" rods & the second build I seen on realoldspower. This will be my first motor build so I want to do it right the first time.

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28235
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0708phr_general_motors_432_ci_oldsmobile/

Take your time, do a lot of research, build a strong bottom end...the upper can always be changed. What ever you do, spend the $$$ and have it dyno tuned. I have been building engines and cars now for over 20 years, there is nothing better than a good tune on a dyno no matter how much power you make.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
I'm not knocking the rims but because of how tall they are it lowers the overall gear ratio and slows the car down. swap in to a 28 inch tall slick and I bet you will see a big improvement. Best advice I can give to any racer is get a routine going. You know like say you put your belts on then pull down on the shoulder belts twice to tighten then. Just stuff like that to get in a rythem. Breathe. Racing is exciting. But once that adrenaline rush starts to hit you get excited and lose focus. Overall even though the looks aren't my taste it's a very nice car and you can tell someone put alot of hard work into it.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Due to the low profile tires they probably are not taller than 28". So his gear may be ideal. As previously asked check the rpm going through the eyes and find out what cam & stall he has. Oh yea what was the mph at the end of the 1/4? The hard low profile tires are probably costing you some 60 foot. Both of my gbodys ran 1.8s with no suspension tuneing but with more sidewall flex for better straight line traction. 2 tenths in the 60 foot is usually 4 tenths at the end of the track. So with a more appropriate tire he probably would have ran a 13.2 instead of a 13.6. Keep it up and keep us posted. 8)

Oh yea kudos for running it at the track as you run it on the street. I mean I am all for seeing what it would do with some slicks but really I always am more interested in knowing what a car will run in its street setup. I never ran mine with slicks and always through full exhaust after all its test & tune fun night not bracket competition racing.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Shows how much I know about big rims with low profile tires LOL :lol:

Dogshit you should bring your GN up to the Heritage of Flight car show in New Carlisle the first friday of Oct. It's HUGE and you can put that beauty next to my Regal T-Type! 8)

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
SilverShadow87 said:
a 22" wheel with a 30 series tire is nowhere near 28"tall.. more like 24 to 25 if that

Doing the math a 255/30/22 is 28.02 inches tall.

BiggsVI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2011
Cleveland, OH
This car was not build to be a track car it's a daily car & I'm guessing he pretty much geared it for the Asanti forged rims (Tire height: 27.81) The cam is a comp cam flat tappet grind & the stall is 3000 I also ask him what was the mph/rpm from the race and he said he didn't remember (Lost slip). The car will be at the track again in couple more weeks so I'll keep you guys informed.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Minimal useful cam specs would be intake & exhaust lift, and duration at 50. Yea mph/rpm through the eyes. But gear, stall, & tire height sounds suggests a good combination so far. Heads ported bigger valves headers etc?

The tire linked below & the right wheel would be a bolt up for box stock suspension etc. They also have a wider 40 series profile tire that would require a frame notch. Just saying for reference for when you build your car. 18s are not jumbo stupid too big for the body ie IMO the best balance of straight line traction, lower profile for cornering, and looks. I would not be surprised if this tire took 3 tenths off his 60 foot ie 6 tenths!! off his quarter mile ET with no other changes! He could be knocking on the door of a 12 second pass. If he has any real torque/power those hard ultra low profile tires cost him dearly at the line.

http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Drag-Radi ... ETVx41lSmA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor