flex fan vs plastic flex fan vs electric

Status
Not open for further replies.
85GPLef41 said:
Well after seeing what my buddy's flex fan did to his hood.....

But, I've also seen that happen with stock fans.

I have used the stock thermo fan, flex fan, and electric. In order of best to worst: electric, thermo fan, and flex.

When I first tinkering with my car, the fan went out pretty quick, so I replaced the stock thermostat clutch on the fan for a straight clutch. That setup worked for about 3-4 years before the new clutch went out and cause my engine to overheat big time while I was driving.

So as a quick fix, I ended up using a flex fan. They sound cool initially and give that blower sound, after a while they get boring. What really hurts is how this fan actually robs you of 10-15 horsepower and you lose mpg's as well. Then I started hearing of flex fans blowing apart and destroying setups. So I figured next I'd try electric.

I have yet to fully test the electric fan setup but from what I've read so far, the Mark VIII and Thunderbird fan are the best out there (Yes STOCK single fan, I have a thunderbird fan). They flow more than any other fan out there and are an 18 inch fan. The only downside is that you need to upgrade your alternator with a CS144 alternator which gives between 100-140amps. These can be found in almost all cadillacs, primarily Devilles and fleetwoods from the mid 90's and they bolt up in most cases with no issues. Google "CS144 alternator" and you'll see that even jeep guys are swapping over to these alternators.

patmckinneyracing said:
I have used the stock thermo fan, flex fan, and electric. In order of best to worst: electric, thermo fan, and flex.

When I first tinkering with my car, the fan went out pretty quick, so I replaced the stock thermostat clutch on the fan for a straight clutch. That setup worked for about 3-4 years before the new clutch went out and cause my engine to overheat big time while I was driving.

So as a quick fix, I ended up using a flex fan. They sound cool initially and give that blower sound, after a while they get boring. What really hurts is how this fan actually robs you of 10-15 horsepower and you lose mpg's as well. Then I started hearing of flex fans blowing apart and destroying setups. So I figured next I'd try electric.

I have yet to fully test the electric fan setup but from what I've read so far, the Mark VIII and Thunderbird fan are the best out there (Yes STOCK single fan, I have a thunderbird fan). They flow more than any other fan out there and are an 18 inch fan. The only downside is that you need to upgrade your alternator with a CS144 alternator which gives between 100-140amps. These can be found in almost all cadillacs, primarily Devilles and fleetwoods from the mid 90's and they bolt up in most cases with no issues. Google "CS144 alternator" and you'll see that even jeep guys are swapping over to these alternators.
I figured sooner or later PatMcKinney would chime in, as he just did some cool stuff, no pun intended, with an electrical fan....Bout time bro 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor