Floor shifter and shift cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

1981kc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2011
Has anyone put a 700r4 in a Malibu with a factory floor shift and console? I need to know what car I can get a shifter out of for the 700r4 and also what shift cable that I can use so it will shift correctly. I would like to keep the inside of the car looking as stock as possible using the console that came with the car if possible. The car came with a V6 and a 3 speed automatic. I have put in a 350 / 350 and the 700r4 and everything bolted in just fine but I am not sure if the shift cable will work and I know the old shifter won't. Thanks to anyone that can help me get this project completed.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I'm using a shifter from a 3rd gen f-body. I'm also using the console from the same Camaro but you might be able to make it work with a stock Malibu console.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
The factory 3 speed shifter will work all you need is a new detent plate for the overdrive like from a GN the plate simply unbolts. You will need the trans brackets from the same along with shifter cable. The trans brackets have a different travel lenght which is why the cable needs to be changed.

1981kc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for your help. I am new at this so any help is greatly appreciated. Can you buy the parts from the Grand National new or are the only ones available out of the junk yards? Is the f body shifter available new? What years are the 3rd generation f bodies (camaros?)?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
All most all the parts detent plate,shifter brackets and cable for the gn can be found on ebay. All though they are pricey due to the GN Label. LOL

1981kc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2011
Is the shif cable for a 200r4 the one I need for the 700R4? Does it take the same bracket?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
1981kc said:
Is the shif cable for a 200r4 the one I need for the 700R4? Does it take the same bracket?

Yes

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
I've done several LT1/4L60E swaps into older cars, all I do is slot the lever that bolts to the transmission and slide it up to shorten the travel of the shifter, works perfectly and with a little tweaking will align with the indicator for the 4 speed auto. :wink:

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
I used a shifter and cable assembly from a camaro. Didn't look too bad and functioned good. Now I have a 5 speed :lol:

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I am using 700r4 in 84 cutlass with stock floor shifter...I used the pan bracket, cable and shift lever on trans from a mid 80's camaro or T/A. The only thing I fabricated was the end of shifter where cable mounts in car. I did this b/c the part of the cable where it is held into shifter with clip was larger than factory hole. I also eliminated shift linkage to column for park-lock and reverse lights and wired in a microswitch on the shifter instead. I did try using 200-4r cable and found it did not work correctly. Now I have factory floor shifter with 700r-4 along with a park-lock (no neutral-lock) and working reverse lights. It was a little bit of work but well worth it in the end to have a stock appearing interior.

My unlce put a 700-r4 into his 80 malibu and bent the linkage to work normally but it was b/c he has a column shifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor