FNG with a Buford / 86 OldsmoBuick Regal with a 307...

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2009
Hi Guys,

I've check out this site a few time, so I finally decided to post a question about the brackets on the front of my 307 Olds powered Regal.

The car was my grandmothers since nearly new, I purchased it in 2000 and drive it only in the summer. I have my 06 2500 HD DMax/6 speed stick for the rest of the year.

The good: Almost rust free, spent every winter in FL
The Bad: Olds 307 is about done at 130,000 well maintained miles
The Ugly: Head liner is shot, 14" granny tires, plastic around both the front and rear bumper is shot.

But it will hold me over until either I put a 455 Buick in it or buy a GN...

Later,
-Joe Rainville
39 y/o Hydrogen Fuel Cell Engineer
Rochester, NY area

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Welcome!

Luckily, those problems are pretty easily taken care of. Rust is the biggest problem for these cars, and if you have a clean car, you're way ahead of the game.

May 3, 2009
Regal

Thanks Blake,

The only rust on the car is the bottom of the drivers door. Luckily my brother sent me a set of rust free California doors for it a while back. I am working on the little things cosmetic things as time allows.

I just finished doing the timing chain as it needed a water pump anyway. I replaced about everything I took off, such as fuel pump, all belts and hoses aside from the timing set and water pump. Runs better, but still not 100%.

As much as I do like the car, a T-type with T-tops would have been nicer. Bummer that my Grandmother wasn't so hip in 86, LOL!

-Joe

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I would be suprised if that engine was "done" at that mileage. I have a 77 350 and when I rebuilt it at 116000 miles it had no cylinder bore wear at all. The only thing I really needed to do was replace the cam and polish the crank.

May 3, 2009
outsider_27 said:
I would be suprised if that engine was "done" at that mileage. I have a 77 350 and when I rebuilt it at 116000 miles it had no cylinder bore wear at all. The only thing I really needed to do was replace the cam and polish the crank.

No doubt the old 307 could be rebuilt, but a well maintained motor with only 130,000 miles should not run as bad, use as much oil and have as little power as this one. I've had 300,000 mile Buicks that ran better. I've also not seen a 307 live past 150k either.

If I am going to pull the motor, I would rather install a 455 or 350 Buick in it's place. Darn car only has a 3spd auto too.

Until then, it's just a 'summer beater' to keep miles off my Diesel.

-Joe

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Joe,
www.v8buick.com has a section specifically for swaping Buick V8s into gbodys. I had a 455 Stage 1 and love the motor. There is lots to building up a good big block gbody. The ideal place to start is with a 442 as it already has the 8.5 rear, HD springs & sway bars, better trans core, a guage package, console shift, useable wheels. All things that you will want or need. Other than the GN/Ttype no other gbody including the MCSS had all this stuff. What you find out is that while fun its also a lot of work, time and money. Should you take this on from where you are at I have some stuff you might be interested in; ie an 8.5 3.42 posi with drive shaft & KZ code 200-4R, HD front & rear sway bars, jounce bars, Grand Prix bar plus GP underhood supports, trunk criss cross. Finally if you want a T-top Grand National I have one of those to and it is for sale. Check out my pics. I am the original owner. Nice truck BTW.

Edit There is a guy local name Chris McWhinney. He has developed some cutting edge Hydrogen fuel cell stuff and claims to have solved some of the key challenges for switching to hydrogen. He Is/has trying to parter with and develope what becomes the next main stream Hydrogen power. Has generator fields. Powers his own home & auto with hydrogen. You are probably already familiar but though I would throw it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor