Forgotten but Not Gone

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Right now I've got an automatic only restriction on my license. The company I'm going to runs an all auto fleet so I'm fine for now. In 6 months I can go back to the school for a few days and take a manual trans course and get the restriction lifted. The best part is that it's free. I definitely plan on doing that.
When I took my CDL-A course last spring most OTR recuiters said their fleets were going automatic. Even here in the state they claim all future dump/plow trucks are going auto. One thing to say about getting the stick training is since you can drive a car stick it'll take some getting used to the double clutching until you master the clutchless shifts. I still suck double clutching (I keep getting told it's not a muscle car trans), doubt I'll master clutchless shifting, & glad I started with a auto plow truck to learn the job.

Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
When I took my CDL-A course last spring most OTR recuiters said their fleets were going automatic. Even here in the state they claim all future dump/plow trucks are going auto. One thing to say about getting the stick training is since you can drive a car stick it'll take some getting used to the double clutching until you master the clutchless shifts. I still suck double clutching (I keep getting told it's not a muscle car trans), doubt I'll master clutchless shifting, & glad I started with a auto plow truck to learn the job.

In a way I think it was easier learning to drive the truck without having to also learn shifting at the same time. I didn't realize how much more concentration it takes to drive a Semi truck vs a car. Once I get 6 months of driving experience and go take the manual course I'll already be familiar with driving the truck, then I can concentrate on learning how to shift properly. Learning one thing at a time should make it easier. I'm sure I'll pick up on it pretty quickly. It'll just take a little time to get good at it. One guy in my class was going to a company where they still ran manuals and he practiced and took the test in a manual. We had mostly manual trucks on the practice pads where we did the backing maneuvers. At the end of the 3rd week I had gotten used to driving so when I'd pull up to set up for a maneuver I'd shift through the first few gears. The guy who had been driving a manual all week during the practice on the road had already gotten good enough to float the gears.

Just curious, where did you take your course? I went to Tennessee Truck Driving School in Louisville, TN. It's really close to Knoxville.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Over 30 years driving, I bet you've got a lot of stories you can tell. I've heard there's pretty good money in the oil fields. I'm starting out OTR pulling a reefer. The company I'm going to only asks for a 6 month commitment and I've noticed some better paying driving jobs listed that would have me home more often that only require 6 months experience. I might stay an entire year with this first company but if I find a better job at 6 months, I'll probably take it. I don't plan on doing a lot of job hopping but the place I'm going is a starter company and they realize that. The pay won't be great but I know that going into it. I just need to get some experience so I can open some doors to better opportunities. One good thing about the place I'm going is that they run newer trucks. The oldest trucks they have are 3 years old. They're constantly replacing them with brand new ones. They run Freightliner Cascadias.

Yeah,I could talk your ears off with the things that I've seen over the years .
I started out with manual trans trucks,15,10 double L's,13 and 18 speeds.
In my opinion,at least one full year of driving experience is a good thing before you go looking for another job
The oil field does indeed pay good money.I work for 6 months from Oct to March and take the summers off and enjoy the Monte !!
Oh,and of course spending time with my wife,LOL
Remember that a reefer tends to be a bit top heavy with that fridge mounted high on the front of the trailer,so take it easy on corners.
Guy

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just curious, where did you take your course? I went to Tennessee Truck Driving School in Louisville, TN. It's really close to Knoxville.
I did a three week course at Keystone Diesel outside of Butler, Pa. They only had ten speeds, with the state they have eight speeds. Since I was on unemployment & a vet the state paid for my training.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have been wondering where you have been? Big rule if you are in Iowa stay out of the way of a white Peterbuilt service truck with red fenders! Whatch out for the idiot's out driving around. Good luck with your new career.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Welcome back and good luck on a very honorable profession

Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I did a three week course at Keystone Diesel outside of Butler, Pa. They only had ten speeds, with the state they have eight speeds. Since I was on unemployment & a vet the state paid for my training.

First of all, thank you for your service. The school I went to was also a 3 week school. It was a a lot to squeeze into 3 weeks but they do a good job. All of the staff were "real world" experienced and easy to get along with. For example the guy who taught us to drive on the road had 30 years driving experience. I trusted his opinion and he taught me a lot. He was as chill as they come. Even when the nervous student out of our group drove and he messed up, he never raised his voice or became visibly upset. Overall, I think I made a good choice in schools and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Reactions: 2 users

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Yeah,I could talk your ears off with the things that I've seen over the years .
I started out with manual trans trucks,15,10 double L's,13 and 18 speeds.
In my opinion,at least one full year of driving experience is a good thing before you go looking for another job
The oil field does indeed pay good money.I work for 6 months from Oct to March and take the summers off and enjoy the Monte !!
Oh,and of course spending time with my wife,LOL
Remember that a reefer tends to be a bit top heavy with that fridge mounted high on the front of the trailer,so take it easy on corners.
Guy

I figured you had accumulated a few stories over the years. All of our instructors were former drivers and they all had interesting stories to tell. I think all of the manual transmission trucks that the school had were 10 speeds. Hell yeah on being able to work just half the year! One of the main lessons I've learned so far is to take your time and don't go too fast. When I took my test it was raining and I dropped my speed to be safe.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor