Found issues in the bathroom.

How thick a layer should the dry pack be layed? The old floor is pretty high already with the bathroom doors just barely not scraping the old floor tiles.

I have another question. Does the drypack method still require two layers of plywood underneath?

Slowly been removing the old bathroom floor. Found some more subfloor rot and something really bizarre. There appears to be at least 3 layers of plywood and a layer of roofing shingles, WTF! I may have to tear the whole bathroom subfloor out instead of just the trouble spots as it seems that unorthodox building methods were used in the floor's construction. I assume the builder took a lot of short cuts.

• Wow
Reactions: Tony1968
Used what he had laying around or left over from another job. Probably my kinda guy lol - it’s a shithouse subfloor ‘who’s ever going to see it?’

Oh yeah, the guy I sold the house to. 😉

Might as well fix it right.

Besides roofing shingles I found remnants of linoleum tiles by the sink vanity. Looks like they must have installed the vanity over an old linoleum floor. Then when they ripped the linoleum out, they left the ones under the vanity and just cut them back.

So here are the layers I found so far, tiles, mastic, plywood, a layer that is a mix of tar paper/roofing shingles/linoleum, then another layer of plywood with white paint on the seams between sheets. I believe there is at least another layer of plywood under the second layer of plywood but God knows what could be between them? It seems several floors had been laid down in various lazy fashions. I feel like a geologist digging through layers of strata.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Streetbu
So I have most of the first layer of plywood which was really thin removed along with all the tar paper and roof shingles. The second layer of plywood has old mastic residue so it was likely tiled at one time. It seems the roofing shingles were used as shims. The second layer is made up of mismatching plywood. Half of the room is OSB while the other half by the tub is non OSB. Really haphazard construction, did I mention this is a kit house?

Did a little poking in a rotten spot of the second subfloor by the corner of the tub on ths non OSB side. So it looks like under this second layer of plywood is another layer of linoleum. Looks like they just kept putting new layers on top of old ones for decades. Impossible to know if its lazy POs, lazy contractors, or a mix of both.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Streetbu
So I have most of the first layer of plywood which was really thin removed along with all the tar paper and roof shingles. The second layer of plywood has old mastic residue so it was likely tiled at one time. It seems the roofing shingles were used as shims. The second layer is made up of mismatching plywood. Half of the room is OSB while the other half by the tub is non OSB. Really haphazard construction.

Did a little poking in a rotten spot of the second subfloor by the corner of the tub on ths non OSB side. So it looks like under this second layer of plywood is another layer of linoleum. Looks like they just kept putting new layers on top of old ones for decades. Impossible to know if its lazy POs, lazy contractors, or a mix of both.
This is why I work with new construction. Much easier than remodeling and fixing other peoples mistakes….

This is why I work with new construction. Much easier than remodeling and fixing other peoples mistakes….
Or going through the joy of finding a mummified turd (or body of something or someone) in places there shouldn't be one. 😳

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor