FOUND my 400sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
No, heads don't have to go to the machine shop if you merely remove them. Unless of course you find something wrong while they are off.
Gotcha! I just did a quick Google search of the casting numbers 462624 and from what I can tell they’re basically boat anchors. The vehicle won’t ever see the track/strip. Just a summer time cruiser. But I definitely want better performance ain’t from the motor

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'm not sure what your end goal is for this engine, so I'll just speak to what I can see and what I know from having had a couple. Yes, the 624s are among the least desirable heads out there, and yours are pretty crusty. Assuming that the engine is otherwise stock, the intake manifold is all wrong. A SBC 400 really only has one thing going for it, the long stroke. Otherwise, the rest of the formula kinda sucks. They were low compression, had dinky cams, heads had little potential for performance, cooling challenges, and rod/stroke ratio that didn't help cylinder wear. That being said, they were good at making decent low-end torque and ran on crappy gas.

I'd absolutely pull the heads to see what kind of shape the cylinders are in. If they look okay, I'd be looking for another set of heads -- probably Vortecs. That'll get your CR up and they'll breathe sooo much better. Then I'd pick a cam that suits your needs. Lastly, I'd look for an appropriate intake and carb combo. Obviously, if the cylinders are iffy, it's time to regroup before you've spent any money.

It's a 400 so it makes sense to build for low-mid range torque. Play to it's strength. Resist the urge to build for high-RPM HP numbers.

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Alrighty so say I take the heads off do they have to go to the machine shop? I wanted to stay away from the machine shops since they’re backed up for months in my area.
But yessir turns over by hand.

He did not mention why they were pulled out actually I’ll have to ask him.

Gotcha! I’m thinking about pulling the heads to change the gaskets. But I think I’ve heard that soon as you pull the heads they have to go to the machine shop correct? I wanted to try to stay away from that since in my area they’re backed up for months.

Correct the motor came with a weiand brand, “X-celerator” single plane aftermarket intake manifold. Casting number on the heads are
462624. From what I’ve read they’re basically boat anchors.
So, you know that's not the intake from the RV & that someone put it on there after the motor was harvested from an RV as the more likely scenario. The valvetrain hardware removed/missing is another indicator this motor has been 'used' since being harvested from the "70k mile RV" life. How many miles & what kind of miles has it seen since being in the RV would be my concern.

Heads def need to come off & get re-worked or discarded for something new/different. They look dry & rusty vs oily.... Signs it's been sitting exposed for a while. I'd bet the valve seals are dry rotted @ a minimum. Put it on a engine stand & pull the pan to pull the main-caps & inspect the main bearings/crank journals. You should probably do the same for the rods (@ least one from each bank).

Reactions: 1 users

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
I'm not sure what your end goal is for this engine, so I'll just speak to what I can see and what I know from having had a couple. Yes, the 624s are among the least desirable heads out there, and yours are pretty crusty. Assuming that the engine is otherwise stock, the intake manifold is all wrong. A SBC 400 really only has one thing going for it, the long stroke. Otherwise, the rest of the formula kinda sucks. They were low compression, had dinky cams, heads had little potential for performance, cooling challenges, and rod/stroke ratio that didn't help cylinder wear. That being said, they were good at making decent low-end torque and ran on crappy gas.

I'd absolutely pull the heads to see what kind of shape the cylinders are in. If they look okay, I'd be looking for another set of heads -- probably Vortecs. That'll get your CR up and they'll breathe sooo much better. Then I'd pick a cam that suits your needs. Lastly, I'd look for an appropriate intake and carb combo. Obviously, if the cylinders are iffy, it's time to regroup before you've spent any money.

It's a 400 so it makes sense to build for low-mid range torque. Play to it's strength. Resist the urge to build for high-RPM HP numbers.
Well I just want to daily the vehicle that it’s going in, I’d like to get some better performance out of the engine that’s fersure. I’ll pull the heads and the oil pan today to check’er out

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Where are you located (state/city)? Perhaps some can assist w/a machine shop reference you may not be aware of.

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
So, you know that's not the intake from the RV & that someone put it on there after the motor was harvested from an RV as the more likely scenario. The valvetrain hardware removed/missing is another indicator this motor has been 'used' since being harvested from the "70k mile RV" life. How many miles & what kind of miles has it seen since being in the RV would be my concern.

Heads def need to come off & get re-worked or discarded for something new/different. They look dry & rusty vs oily.... Signs it's been sitting exposed for a while. I'd bet the valve seals are dry rotted @ a minimum. Put it on a engine stand & pull the pan to pull the main-caps & inspect the main bearings/crank journals. You should probably do the same for the rods (@ least one from each bank).
I was told the RV had 70k on it, the guy seemed like a pretty straight shooter. But who knows. Will definitely be putting it on an engine stand here shortly and taking a look at’er

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I was told the RV had 70k on it, the guy seemed like a pretty straight shooter. But who knows. Will definitely be putting it on an engine stand here shortly and taking a look at’er
Right.... The 'RV' had 70k. Very plausible scenario. But, the RV didn't have that intake.

That change could mean the motor possibly found a temporary home & was used somewhere that did have a need/want for that intake. Since single-plane intakes are usually used for high rpm activities this is where I would start questioning things from a concern perspective. That doesn't mean good or bad; it just means things are possibly not exactly how they're being represented.

I'm not saying the guy is being dishonest but many a con-artist/liar sounded very sincere to their victims. It's part of their game.
Do the inspection homework for some of the answers. Hopefully it's a good deal & in good shape.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Jbug & all; I've built 3 400's over the years. After ya pull the heads inspect the block decks VERY carefully as they are prone to cracking around the steam holes. You may want to look over some of the things I did? My first one was very budget friendly, the next two not so much. Ole' Bob.

Attachments

• III_Rob&BrokeCap from 05.JPG
    III_Rob&BrokeCap from 05.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Friendly
Reactions: 5 users

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
Okay so the previous owner said it was sitting in his garage for 10 years, he had free roam chickens running around. I dropped the lil pan and found rat poops, insulation (rat nest) and even some feathers. Took the heads off, so far not really liking what I’m seeing so far

Jbug.jbone

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2020
took off the intake manifold, seems to have surface rust. One of the cylinders also has surface rust

Attachments

• 6DEC364D-CF1C-4A22-97E1-ACFD3D3E306F.jpeg
    6DEC364D-CF1C-4A22-97E1-ACFD3D3E306F.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 91
  • B2F624F1-2E52-43B9-9184-EB9FB0F35A0B.jpeg
    B2F624F1-2E52-43B9-9184-EB9FB0F35A0B.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 89
  • A2213049-1480-46E9-B045-56A079CB221B.jpeg
    A2213049-1480-46E9-B045-56A079CB221B.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Wow
  • Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor