frame structure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyss415

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2009
Northern california
Can any body here tell me if i cut the top section of a gbody will the body collapse or sag? If i need to reinforce, what & where? or if any body can guide me to someone who has done this that would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :D

Veltboy618

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2008
chevyss415 said:
Can any body here tell me if i cut the top section of a gbody will the body collapse or sag? If i need to reinforce, what & where? or if any body can guide me to someone who has done this that would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :D
I really dont know what needs to be done but I heard you have to do some bracing if you want it done right because it will eventually start folding on you.

Check out this thread & contact the owner to see where he had to brace everything
http://www.kingofthestreet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77080

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
if you are talking cutting on the roof you for sure need to reinforce it in the door openings, you messing with touchy stuff there. i would see if you can find a frame shop that does cheap work for cash. i have a local guy that will cut a roof section out and reinstall one for around 200 bucks, only reason i know that is because i was gonna swap some t tops onto my regal, still might... :)

jbeane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2011
st. albans WV
i would sugesst atleast plating the belly of the frame.

a couple peices of 4"x4" 1/8th inch angle iron will work wonders.

we built a regal, 2 pumps, 8 batterys. and the guy got the bright idea to cut it as a targa with out reinforcing the frame. it didnt colapse on the doors as long as it was setting normal on all 4's but when he would hit a switch it flexed like hell.

we losend the body mounts, and jacked the body up off the frame as far as we could, and took angle placed it along the outside of the frame, and welded it up. its not the greatest way, but it works just like like plating the frame.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Boxing the frame and adding a couple of the universal crossmembers to the frame should be plenty. A GBody is not going to lose structural integrity like a unibody car and fold in half :idea: They are good solid full frame cars. Talk to the guys that build the hydraulic cars, they go through a beating :!:

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
The gbody frame flexes allot as is . It was made to ride good . Thats way all extra braces were made. Box frame from front to body mount to rear wheel arch sections. No amount of cross braces will help . Its front to back . I owned 86 buick a conversion (made in 87 )convertible. They beefed up body at lower jamb points and frame was really built up .

It was 5 years old and the doors were starting to have movement going down road. I junked it to much movement

In other words I would not unless its just city cruiser car .

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Factory ragtops normally weigh more than coupe equivalents because of the reinforcing added to stop body flexing.
You definitely need to address this if you are intending to use the car after cutting off the roof.
What you need to do will depend on what you are cutting and on what car.

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor