From DualJet To...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi all, I have a question mainly toward people running 2bbl cars with the ECM delete. Are there any other carbs that fit the intake, or do I have to use a DualJet? MY car's computer was ripped out in the past and it runs like total crap. My plan was to do the full ECM delete, but I'm wondering if I'm limited to using a 75-80 DualJet, or if there's another carb out there that I can use. I have a 231, perhaps I could use the 2bbl from a 70's Jeep equipped with the 225 Dauntless? Some help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Nope, just a Dual-Jet will fit. When gas was $4 my 400 was killing me so I swapped a 231 into my Malibu wagon but scrapped all the computer stuff. I was lucky enough to find a '79 Dual-jet and HEI in a junkyard that worked great without touching anything. I found out there are slight differences with the throttle and trans linkage so be careful when you shop around. Bring the old carb and eyeball them together. Oh, and around me, even if the donor cars are long gone, the yards keep stuff like carbs and distributors back in the shed.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks. But would I be correct to assume that a 225 Intake will bolt up to a 231, or is that not possible?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm not all that familiar with the 225. Was that the Buick odd-fire aluminum V-6? Those are pretty old, in fact I looked at RockAuto and they don't show a carb, but the carb gasket they show looks like a one barrel, like the old Rochester model B. The oldest 231 I ever worked on was a '76 Sunbird and it used the Rochester 2G two barrel. 225/231 Intakes may swap, but what carb was used?

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I've seen a lot where its simply called a "Rochester 2 Jet", nothing more apparently

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This is a Rochester 2G. It will not swap with a Dual-Jet.
2gc_identification.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
My 231 is an 82, and I'm aware of the 4.1/Q-jet swap. The problem is finding a 4.1 in the first place. I have one of four drivable G-Bodys in this whole town(its a really small town). I actually don't really want a 4bbl, I'd like to just keep a 2bbl. I don't see any gain in having the Q-jet, I'm just wanting get this turd running as good as possible until I get a new engine.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So re-reading from the beginning, you have a car that needs a non-computer Dual-Jet and HEI distributor just to function. To acquire as cheap as possible would be: junkyards, swap meets, car shows, craigslist, ebay, etc. Condition will range from perfect to total crap, so pay accordingly. Another option is rebuilt either from local shop or RockAuto and eat the core charge. Condition will be perfect and maybe even a warranty. If it was me I'd scrounge up something and rebuild them but for someone else I'd suggest rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor