Front air dam

jjjaffo

Apprentice
Jul 2, 2022
Monroe Wisconsin
Hey folks. I have a 1980 El Camino and was wondering if they ever came with an air dam under the front core support? Is this something I can add, and would it make a difference? My car tends to heat up a bit at highway speeds. I have a clutch fan and a one row plastic tank radiator in it. Cools just fine in town and does not overheat a speed, just tends to run about 210*. Wondering if putting in an air dam can help that at all?

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Hey folks. I have a 1980 El Camino and was wondering if they ever came with an air dam under the front core support? Is this something I can add, and would it make a difference? My car tends to heat up a bit at highway speeds. I have a clutch fan and a one row plastic tank radiator in it. Cools just fine in town and does not overheat a speed, just tends to run about 210*. Wondering if putting in an air dam can help that at all?
yes these rides did come with a plastic air dam attached to the bottom of the support and it does aid in forcing air into the radiator core.i don't have any experience running a car without one but i firmly believe it's an important part of the cooling system.

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I have an extra air dam if you're interested. It's off of an 81 Grand Prix.. I assume it's the same on all G-Bodies.

Attachments

• air dam.jpg
    air dam.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 19

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have an extra air dam if you're interested. It's off of an 81 Grand Prix.. I assume it's the same on all G-Bodies.
There's at least two, My '81 Monte & Jr.'s '79 have differents ones. His is taller(?) than mine & has a different shape. As long as it does the job I wouldn't see any issues using any one that as used on our cars.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A few years back, I saw one that one our members posted that was actually longer than the typical air dam /deflector. Anyone will serve the purpose.
It is a necessary part to help direct air flow into your radiator,

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the bolt pattern on the bottom of the support/on the air dam is the same jjjaffo so don't let a BOP version that 's a little wider scare you away.

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a factory unit on one of our cars and I made one for another. Without them installed the temps climb by more than 20degrees while cruising. hey are an absolute must for highway driving in the heat.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ensure you also have the rubber side flaps or whatever configuration from the factory that help direct air through the radiator.

• Agree

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
The aforementioned side flaps or whatever:

Or Scott W. of GNS Performance makes an aluminum version:

Screenshot_20240603-133526~2.png

• Useful

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor