front brake upgrade with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2014
Berryville, VA
Hey all!

I am building a 54 Chevy Truck. Front clip is a Gbody and rear is an Ford 8.8 rear. I have $2k in wheels and tires from another build with the 5x4.5 Ford/Mopar bolt pattern. I am trying to upgrade front brakes (i know there are lots of kits out there) BUT, want to have the 5x4.5 bolt pattern so I can use the wheels i have. I think Speedway has a rotor swap for stock pieces but I would really like to upgrade the single pot Metric Caliper. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!
Rick

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Bolt on adapters would work.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If the speedway rotor is the Stock G body size, you can upgrade to the "Large" metric single piston caliper easily ( Wilwood, Speedway both have these. I like the Wilwood a little better)). Wilwood and SSBC also make a dual piston caliper that will fit. From listening to several others that have done the Large Piston swap, they were very happy with the results. I called Wilwood on the Dual Piston model, and they did not recommend it for the stock G body Rotor Diameter,l as only about 2/3 of the pad actually contact the rotor. A slightly larger diameter rotor would work well.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
PS it is also a manual style set-up meaning it still has some stopping power even if the brake line / rear equip fails. Perfect set-up for a hot rod you are still doing test-runs on.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Instead of wheel adapters, consider a little research project. The 98-02 S-10 knuckles use a bolt-on packaged hub/bearing that has the G-body 5x4.75 bolt pattern. I know that the front-drive GM cars also use a packaged bearing, but they have a smaller lug bolt circle ~ 5x4.53. The trick to make sure is that the three bolts that hold it onto the knuckle are the same pattern. If you have a U-Pull-It nearby, you could pull one off and measure to see if I am right. You'll need to use rotors from the same car, and then you will need to see whether you need to use the S-10 calipers or the FWD ones. You may be able to use the two-pot S-10 calipers which are better than the G-metrics.

Attachments

• 2004 MC Hub.JPG
    2004 MC Hub.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 416
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor