Front end: Do myself or let mechanic???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this idea from OD Showtime I believe. I just made a spring compressor out of a decent length of all-thread (has to fit through the upper shock mount hole), a 2" metal pipe cap with a hole drilled though it, and some nuts and washers. The pipe cap end fits well over the lower shock mount in the a-arm too. I don't think I even spent $15 making it. You just need to have some big drill bits at your disposal. I may have a pic of it in my build thread but I didn't want to dig through 30 pages to find it.

I like using this because I'm not a fan of the hook style, nor the plate style compressors because I've seen them slip and lose tension.

I changed out my LCA bushing the other day along with the springs. First time doing. It's really common sense and patience. Took me about 3 hours for one side and 30 minutes for the other lol. I used a rope. Once you lower the arm with the jack, there is not to much tension in the spring. A not so hard hit with a sledge hammer or a big solid pipe will pop it right out. Use the compressor to put it back on. Save yourself the money. Take your time, and it'll go smoothly. Your wallet will thank you as we'll. bushings were pressed out by a shop.

I would NOT do it without a spring compressor. Also highly recommend the chain/cable safety idea.

It is a dirty, dangerous, and physical job. It's harder than yanking a motor. A spring compressor is the way to go, and chains to tie the springs to the frame. A flying spring CAN kill you. Expect the bolts to be shot. But once they are out, sending the A-arms to a shop for new bushings and ball joints is not expensive compared to buying a press and bushing tools. Then putting it all back is less dirty, but still dangerous and physical. As stated, ya gotta learn somewhere, and easy does it is the key. Do NOT use an impact gun on a spring compressor. I still have the pooped in pants from when mine broke!

When I did my lower ball joints I just put a hydraulic jack on the crossmember to pick the front up a bit and put a bottle jack under the lower A arms. fairly tight. Loosened up the lower ball joint bolt and picklefork it loose. Once the steering knuckle is out just jack the front of the car up or lower the bottle jack under the A arm. I prefer to raise the car. Once the A arm is down far enough there isnt any pressure on the spring and you can just kick it out. Did basically the same thing to put it in.

Spring compressors work but the back method means your never around the car, gravity keeps it together, and when you want it out you can stand a few feet back. Plus more people have multiple jacks than renting a spring compressor.

Honestly i can't remember my first time doing suspension work. I do it everyday now and it is really easy. ive seen springs go shooting out but it was because of a dumbass move. on the garage floor all i have ever used are two jackstands a good jack and regular hand tools. it's all easier with air tools but you don't need them.

Don't be scared it's just nuts and bolts. all you need to do is look at what your taking off and understand what it does before you take it apart. I have all ways used a ball joint press for the bushings and a cut off wheel to grind the rivets out of the ball joints. If you kinda know what your doing it shouldn't take more than a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor