Front suspension questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin1952

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern N.C.
I recently discovered the availability of front coil over shock kits for the GM 78 to 87 G-Bodies. I have a 78 Pontiac Grand LeMans that desperately needs the front control arm bushings replaced. I am not looking forward to removing and replacing the coil springs and thought these might be a good alternative as well as an upgrade to my current front suspension setup. Though the car has been setting in my shop now for a long time awaiting a frontend rebuild it had been used as an occasionally driven street/strip toy. What is everyone thoughts, opinions, and recommendations with this conversion, Thanks in advance for everyone’s input.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
For reference, here's my car on my old suspension setup, which was rebuilt stock A-arms, Viking 550 hybrid coilovers, and Belltech 2 inch drop spindles. You may have more drop with the differently designed spring pockets on the BMR arms, but I had to adjust my springs all the way down the shock body. Most of my drop came from the drop spindles. Granted, I did buy these in 2012 and construction may have changed.
IMG_1731.JPG Picture 285.jpg
One good thing I can see about the BMR arms (and many aftermarket tubular lower arms) is that they add wheel clearance at full lock. My 16x8 S-10 Xtreme wheels grind the lower arm at full lock without a small spacer (but I do use a 1/2" taller LBJ with my Blazer spindles).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Merlin1952

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern N.C.
307 Regal; I appreciate your input. Actually, the front on mine sets a little lower already than I prefer as far as looks are concerned, though that might change some by just doing a stock rebuild as currently my control arm bushing are totally worn out. I replaced the factory 305 engine with a 455 Pontiac engine so the front has a lot more weight on it than it was designed to support. I’m not looking to loose the drivability of the car on the street but at the same time would like to maybe improve on its ability to get off the line out at the drag strip. So that’s what I’m looking to accomplish. I mean I just want it to have a nice looking stance, handle well around town, and work really well at the drag strip. Simple enough, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor