Front suspension & Steering (Parts List)

W

Wiz02

n00b
Jul 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
I would also like to thank UNGN for the thorough summary of suspension options as I research the R&R of my 79 El Camino's suspension.

I would really appreciate getting some upper and lower control arm recommendations as UB Machine has quite a few options and it seems like new control arms address design flaws and you don't have to wrestle with bushing replacement.

My criteria is budget minded improved handling. I would like to keep the cost of R&R the front springs, control arms (new vs. replace bushings?), ball joints, tie rods, bushings, etc. to well under $1000 while making some gains in the handling department.

I have 17x7" wheels with 4" backspacing up front ( 225/50 tires, 25.9" diam, tread width 7.9")

Reactions: fleming442
ssn696

ssn696

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
Glad to see that this is a sticky. Hope we hear from UNGN again.

ssn696

ssn696

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
New Mexico
You get what you pay for. Some inexpensive ones designed for circle track are marginally safe for extended street use. UMI and Southside support the Forum. UMI demonstrates their products on the track....

W

Wiz02

n00b
Jul 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Thanks for the reply, and while I agree that you get what you pay for, please bear in mind that I'm not interested in turning my Elky into a track car. What I am looking for is an upgrade path that initially will allow the Elky to handle like a modern passenger vehicle and secondly stop like one (as I have factory replacement calipers, pads and drums that work OK by 1979 brake performance standards). Given that the Elky suspension is worn out, I'm planning a phased approach to to improve the handling on a budget. That will likely mean an initial approach of front suspension springs, shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends and control arms in phase one. If I can get all of that done for under a grand, I will move onto brakes after the budget recovers. I'm going to talk to Mac at SouthSideMachinePerformance and get his input. I'll post up my plan after talking to him as I'm sure other folks are in the same position as me and can't cough up thousands for a total suspension rebuild in one shot.

Reactions: Griffin84ss
Griffin84ss

Griffin84ss

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Georgetown, ky
Thanks for the reply, and while I agree that you get what you pay for, please bear in mind that I'm not interested in turning my Elky into a track car. What I am looking for is an upgrade path that initially will allow the Elky to handle like a modern passenger vehicle and secondly stop like one (as I have factory replacement calipers, pads and drums that work OK by 1979 brake performance standards). Given that the Elky suspension is worn out, I'm planning a phased approach to to improve the handling on a budget. That will likely mean an initial approach of front suspension springs, shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends and control arms in phase one. If I can get all of that done for under a grand, I will move onto brakes after the budget recovers. I'm going to talk to Mac at SouthSideMachinePerformance and get his input. I'll post up my plan after talking to him as I'm sure other folks are in the same position as me and can't cough up thousands for a total suspension rebuild in one shot.
I'm in same boat as you are my Brother I will be watching for updates. Thank

S

Santos123

n00b
May 23, 2019
I can’t find pitman arm for my 1985 Oldsmobile delta88, would cutlass pitman fit

MC96

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I can’t find pitman arm for my 1985 Oldsmobile delta88, would cutlass pitman fit
Edit: read this wrong.

No a delta 88 is a B body, all B bodys from 77-96 had the same front end parts. That being said, it is a non wear item and doesnt need replaced when revamping a front suspension / steering assembly

• Agree

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor