Front sway bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
I have a solid front sway bar that I think is 1" or 1 1/8" max, probably the stock one for the 80 El Camino. I'm thinking about getting a hollow one from hotchkis @ 1 3/8. Mainly because I've put my El Co. on a serious diet and I'm shedding every pound I can. Will the thicker hollow outperform the skinnier solid in a no kidding cornering scenario? Would the weigh reduction cost me in handling?

Thanks

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I just removed mine completely............ Then again I don't have worry about taking corners fast anyways as I got skinnies up front!!

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
There have been discussions of this before, might do a search for that. I'm using a hollow 36mm f-car bar on mine. The hollow bar supposedly is about as ridgid as a smaller bar but lighter or something like that. I can't remember the specifics right now, it's been a while.

Might want to check on that mid to late (3rd gen) f-body bar. Look for an IROC-Z and the bar will have small holes where it flattens out for the end link. Scrap yard prices are way lower than a new Hotchkis bar. 36mm equals about 1.44"

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
You must be careful at the junk yards when buying the hollow f-body front sway bars (take calipers). F-bodies had three diameters for the sway bars (all had the holes by the end links). The 32MM came on the f-41 package standard Z-28 I believe. The 34MM came on H. D. IROC's I believe. The 36MM came as a extra H. D. option and the 1LE f-body I believe.
The 32MM=1.259"
The 34MM=1.338"
The 36MM=1.417" (somewhat hard to find and usually expensive)
The 1 1/4" solid bar, and the 34MM hollow bar have about equal performance.
I base this information on a thread, on the MCSS forum.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor