Fuel gauge stuck past full

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbuck350

Apprentice
May 2, 2019
For sure, the Spectra Premium unit I got through the dealer was easy to find 2 years ago. Now it's difficult and I don't blame ya.

Anyway, like 69hurst said you can repair it yourself. But if it was a new unit, I really do think it's the wire that runs to the gauge cluster.
Just pulled the unit out of the tank, hooked up just the sending unit to the pink wire and grounded it turned the key on and moved the float up n down and gauge working as it should, but when I pulled it out it was stuck in the full position is it any way to spray that with some type of lubricant? Probably not because it just sits in gas

Reactions: 1 user

blackbuck350

Apprentice
May 2, 2019
Just pulled the unit out of the tank, hooked up just the sending unit to the pink wire and grounded it turned the key on and moved the float up n down and gauge working as it should, but when I pulled it out it was stuck in the full position is it any way to spray that with some type of lubricant? Probably not because it just sits in gas
Also just the ground screw that secures the sending unit to the bracket was not screwed into the bracket bet that’s my grounding problem 🤔

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Don't lube it. If it's sticking, you need to investigate why, otherwise it'll likely do it again.

Or...the alternative is if it sticks again go across some rough roads or rail road tracks and give it a good bounce. :)

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Also just the ground screw that secures the sending unit to the bracket was not screwed into the bracket bet that’s my grounding problem 🤔
Could be for sure. As far as lubing it up, I wouldn’t. More likely it may be some kind of spring that was too tight from the factory or a screw maybe.

Because theres no reason why a new unit should get stuck. Is your fuel tank the original? Old gas, rust and dirt among other stuff can make the sender unit not work right.

blackbuck350

Apprentice
May 2, 2019
Could be for sure. As far as lubing it up, I wouldn’t. More likely it may be some kind of spring that was too tight from the factory or a screw maybe.

Because theres no reason why a new unit should get stuck. Is your fuel tank the original? Old gas, rust and dirt among other stuff can make the sender unit not work right.
New tank and sending unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor