fusible link size on wire from starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
this car has already had a swap so im just cleaning up the wiring. the only wires that were being used were the wire to the dist. and alt. there is a wire to the starter solenoid, havent tested it or looked at a diagram but im assuming it is the wire that engages the starter since it is on the smaller bolt to the solenoid. now on the solenoid where the batt cable connects to there is a connector that splits to wires. one runs to the fire wall and the other splits to the alternator(im assuming this for the output voltage from the alternator) then this same wire that splits runs to firewall. i assume these wires power the fuse box. now the wires did have fusible links. i dont know how to tell what size they are cuz i want to replace them with an inline fuse holder. anyone know what size fusible link was used off the starter to the fuse box?

Evil_Regal

Apprentice
Sep 25, 2006
Philly, PA
Fusible links protect a wire that is 4 GA sizes higher. ex: or that 8 ga wire you need a 12 ga fusbile link, if that is the correct size.
see: http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/fusible-link.shtml
on installing in-line fuses:
Installation and function of a Fusible Link is similar to the “cartridge type,” in-line fuse. But the Fusible Link does not deteriorate or have meltdown problems with constant use in heavy-duty systems, as the cartridge type fuse is famous for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor