G body blower motor..

Diablo1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2023
Hey, everybody question for you…. restoring the engine compartment of my 79 GMC Diablo and I’m to the heater motor right now cleaning it up and refurbishing it can anybody tell me what this is for or what it does or can it be eliminated? Went to parts store to see if they knew so I could replace it, and they have no idea either! Tried looking it up on line and got nowhere. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
I couldnt find the Diablo wiring diagram but the light truck diagram doesnt show anything there. If that is the wire from the blower motor to the resistor.
Blower Motor.jpg

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
It is a feed through capacitor used to eliminate noise in the radio created by the motor.

GM part number 3906145.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

PVDave

Apprentice
Oct 28, 2021
Arvada, CO
Based on the connector design, it looks to be a Service Bulletin fix for noisy radios. GM shipped the car without the capacitor, but a tech could Plug and Play the capacitor, if needed.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
PVDave
Correct it was a dealer fix for radio noise, only AM radio listeners would complain about the noise so they really were not needed on most cars.

Diablo1079
If you don't listen to AM radio you can likely leave it off.

Reactions: 1 user

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
PVDave
Correct it was a dealer fix for radio noise, only AM radio listeners would complain about the noise so they really were not needed on most cars.

Diablo1079
If you don't listen to AM radio you can likely leave it off.
Like to be used with a metal attachment clamp as there's no flow through action the center wire is straight through on this article leaving the shell to ground through the motor flange and its connected ground as everyone should know a capacitor passes no DC unless it's leaky just as or on this case close down field spikes off the commutator. Are buffered much the same as a distributor radio cap used on hei ignition?

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor