G-Body Coil Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Be carefull there. I used certain "F" body springs for a reason. The top to bottom space in the spring tower is shorter on an "A" or "G" body than an "F" body which automatically gave some lift to the front end. The springs I used were from a 79' Firebird Formula with 301 engine as I was installing a 301 into the wagon. Therefore I got the lift I wanted but the rate was not excessive and my front end is compliant to the road. Years ago I tried 77' TA 400 springs in an 81' Malibu wagon and although they fit, the front end pointed to the sky. I had to cut off 3/4 of a coil to drop it down and that increased the rate a lot, which was not a bad thing having a Pontiac 400 under the hood. Big block springs will be very thick, as the 400 springs were, and may be too stiff for a 350. 78' ElCamino's could be had with 350's and those springs would be my choice if stock height was desired. For a bit of lift, 70's Camaro 350 springs may be what you want.

Mistermastamind

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2012
Qdub24 said:
Springs for a big block A- or B- body car. They'll fit with no modifications.
What about the shocks when using Big Block A or B body springs? Should I also buy the same A or B Body shock, or will simply leaving the stock Cutlass Shocks work? I have also heard that Chevy S-10 shocks will work. Please help.
13z03dt.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I used stock shocks on the front, fit great. But the back was so high I needed shock extenders to get coil-over shocks to fit. I later changed rear springs to JC Whitney "high jackers" and the rear dropped a few inches making stock gas shocks fit.

Mistermastamind

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2012
Bonnewagon said:
I used stock shocks on the front, fit great. But the back was so high I needed shock extenders to get coil-over shocks to fit. I later changed rear springs to JC Whitney "high jackers" and the rear dropped a few inches making stock gas shocks fit.
Hey thanks for the info. I have just one last question before i order the Caprice Springs with factory Cutlass Supreme shocks. With the stock shocks did you have a negative camber problem in the front where the top of both front wheels bow inward?
33bh1j8.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had that problem, but the shocks did not cause it. The Trans Am 400 springs did. I had to cut them 3/4 of a coil to drop it down, and then had the front end re-aligned. Be aware that you probably can't just swap springs and expect perfect results. All cars and motor combinations are different. The rear springs are pretty easy to swap around, but the fronts are a b*tch, and dangerous to work on. Unless you are prepared to swap, test, cut, test, maybe cut again, test, with all the work involved, I would proceed with caution.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Mistermastamind said:
Qdub24 said:
Springs for a big block A- or B- body car. They'll fit with no modifications.
What about the shocks when using Big Block A or B body springs? Should I also buy the same A or B Body shock, or will simply leaving the stock Cutlass Shocks work? I have also heard that Chevy S-10 shocks will work. Please help.
13z03dt.jpg

I had the matching shocks on my car to go w/the springs.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
L..boogie said:
Hey can anybody tell me if front coil springs off 72 impala fit 72 cutlass s

Yes, that's what I have on my '83 Cutlass.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Jc whitney sells a brand named john r spring that is cheaper than moog, haven't used them but plan on it when I get around to swapping mine. Damn Q, havent seen you on here in a minute!

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
MrHernandez said:
Damn Q, havent seen you on here in a minute!

Mainly cause I'm still in TX and all of my G's are back in GA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor