Garage door screen options

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My garage gets hot during the summer and I enjoy opening the door in the evening when I am working to get some breeze.

The issue is when dusk sets in so do the bugs.

I picked up a garage door screen and am trying to determine the best way to mount it so it's easy to pull down when I am in the garage working. They attach using velco to the door frame, but I know I'm never going to install it if I have to unfold, attach, and refold it every time I want to put it up.

They offer frames that attach parallel to the existing door frame, but $1300, nope.

1661479462551.png

I've looked at something like a pull down sunshade, but nothing is 16ft wide or 7ft tall for my normal 2 stall door.

I like the pull down 'drape' style that I can mount above the door mechanism and just pull down, but I don't have much starter parts that I can find.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1661479452777.png
    1661479452777.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
would probably be a lot cheaper in the short AND the long run to just knock a holes in the wall and install an a/c window unit

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Buy aluminum tubing, weld a frame together and install your screen on that.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Have you tried a Therma-cell?

No idea what it is.

Looks like a mosquito repellent electric device? Nope. Didn't even know it existed.

The mosquitos are part of the problem but I get all sorta of bugs, june bugs, flies, moths, etc.

would probably be a lot cheaper in the short AND the long run to just knock a holes in the wall and install an a/c window unit

Biggest problem is the previous owner finished he garage (drywall) but didn't insulate the wall or ceiling, so an AC is in the plan but with no insulation it turns into a greenhouse in the PM sun. I need to rip all the drywall down and insulate and re sheeth the walls, and that's out of scope for the next year or two.

Buy aluminum tubing, weld a frame together and install your screen on that.

I'm considering that as plan B.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
No idea what it is.

Looks like a mosquito repellent electric device? Nope. Didn't even know it existed.

The mosquitos are part of the problem but I get all sorta of bugs, june bugs, flies, moths, etc.

Biggest problem is the previous owner finished he garage (drywall) but didn't insulate the wall or ceiling, so an AC is in the plan but with no insulation it turns into a greenhouse in the PM sun. I need to rip all the drywall down and insulate and re sheeth the walls, and that's out of scope for the next year or two.

I'm considering that as plan B.
I have used the Therma-cell in the swamps of Florida and Georgia for years. Very effective. Another easy way may be to screw some fender washers around the door frame and use strong magnets to hold a screen

• Informative

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So I ran to the hardware store and found some assembled shades but they were like $80+ and not 100% what i needed Stumbled on this on the scumbag jungle website and ordered it.

I think I can get a 16ft chunk of conduit and run between the 2 38mm plugs on each side and roll it up & down like a shade. It has a crank that I can lower and raise it. I looked at making my own end caps that were spring loaded off parts from Mcmaster but they were expensive and hard to find 7ft long clock springs. I don't need the pull-down and self retract function so this should be a bit better.

I'll see how this works out.

Plan B is weld a frame.

1661529639523.png

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
no need for that. buy blown insulation, cut a hole big enough for the hose at the top of each section between studs, blow in the insulation until it fills up, seal it back up

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I remember seeing an infomercial about a soft screen set up that you could put in a doorway that was slit in the center.it had soft magnets that would return the two halves together after you walked through it.it might of been last summer.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor