Gas tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2013
Half the gas tank is rotted out on the old Grand Prix.... Fill it past half way, where the 2 halves are welded together, it leaks like crazy 🙁 So what am I getting into changing it out? I hear the floor of the trunk has to come out?

No, they drop right out from the bottom. Two straps with bolts at both ends, a ground wire and gauge wire and the fuel lines. If it has fuel in it then it is harder to handle.

Bree said:
I hear the floor of the trunk has to come out?

Who did you hear this from? It's pretty silly to tell someone you have to cut the trunk floor out of a car to replace a gas tank. Whoever it was that told you that please don't take anymore advice from them!

DoubleV said:
Bree said:
I hear the floor of the trunk has to come out?

Who did you hear this from? It's pretty silly to tell someone you have to cut the trunk floor out of a car to replace a gas tank. Whoever it was that told you that please don't take anymore advice from them!

+1 thats like saying you have to take off the air filter to change the oil. Do not take advice from that person again! When you need to know something always come here first, between all of the members there is not much we cannot help you with.

Well,,, it's just some cars of that era, the floor of the trunk and the top of the tank were one in the same.
Here's another twist, do I need to get into the trunk to undo the strap bolts. Or to put it another way, do the bolts go though to the trunk? Getting in the trunk of this thing will be a trick. (it's got junk in the trunk 😉 )

Everything is from the bottom.

So my greatest nemesis will be rust! :wink:

I'm not saying your case is hopeless but it sounds like you should consider just taking the car to the shop instead. Why anyone would propose that it would be necessary to remove the trunk floor to access the gas tank is beyond stupid to the point of having me wonder if this is a troll we are talking to. This is most likely a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor