Gbody Retromod build new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubriggsljr

n00b
Feb 6, 2023
Hello,

New to the world of building a Gbody, and of course like anything I decided to take the approach of hold my beer and watch this and bought a 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo SS project car that had pretty much been stripped down to start with. What I am finding so far is there is not a lot of exploded diagrams for things like assembling and disassembling the body of course I may be missing something. My goal is to get the fenders and core support off so we can get the body in the air with a two post lift, and be able to start restoring the Chassis and building from there. My question what are the best resources for figuring out how to disassemble and assemble the car? Like in the c10 world you can go to LMC truck and see all the parts you need to reassemble the door interior that of course is the stupid example. Any help would be greatly appreciated as of course with the Disassembly documentation and reassembly because I know there are parts missing that I have no clue what they are doing the reassemble process.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Unfortunately, there's no PIMs (product information manuals), aka assembly manuals you can get readily for G-bodies. There are engineering documents, sure, but then those aren't neatly packaged as well as not readily available to the public. You may find things in parts books that may show an image, but mostly they don't show you how things go together. There are Fisher body manuals, but those don't go into the details often enough where you would like.

Best action to take, IMO, and it's more difficult, is to video/take pictures of things before you take them apart, get some good quality baggies and a magic marker so you can keep the small bolts and pieces together as best as possible, so they can be referenced when it's time to put things back together. There are some of us here that have experience tearing things down to the frame and back, so you can lean on the experience angle if you get stuck.

These cars are fairly simplistic in how things assemble. With an impact wrench, sockets, a basic tool set and some good jack stands and floor jack, you can probably have the body ready to lift off in a single weekend if you stuck to it. Going back together is always a bigger challenge.

Reactions: 1 user

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
There a couple old books you can find sometimes on Ebay etc.

There is the Factory service Manual itself. This is the shop manual. Not too much on the chassis itself, but the rest of the car. It will have good info on assembling and disassembling things.

Then there's the body service manual, this is the one I think 69hurstolds is suggesting. This will tell you about the various things you can take apart, some frame measurements etc.

Finally there's the Parts and Illustration catalog. This has all the factory part numbers etc for everything. What's useful is the illustrations of the various components at the end of this. shows where all the various bolts etc are.

I've got all of the above for Olds, The Chevy ones will be similar, but different (obviously)

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Don't over think it, is not rocket science. PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES for the part as installed, followed by uninstalled with the bolts/screws that hold it in place. Several angles of the parts in relation to other parts too. For the bolts/screws suggest pic of the head markings next to the part too.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's an 87 442, but oldsofb does a fantastic, almost Hollywood style production, video series rebuilding his own car. MUCH of your Monte will be basically the same. There are some differences as you'll find out, but if you got the time, it's definitely worth the subscribe. The guy, goes by the name Hutch, tears down EVERYTHING darn near to the skin cells. And then puts them back together like a work of art. A man with a plan. A bona-fide G-body component rebuild Rock Star. Start with video one on his journey to rebuild his 87 442 from the ground up with plenty of cool mods.

And if you want to follow a picture build to another perfectionist, OCD style with lots of metal/bodywork modifications, then Rktpwrd has his Juggernaut build thread that's chocked FULL of great customizing ideas that you can ponder ideas for your own build should you choose. It's a Cutlass, but again, his mods should work 99% on just about any G-body. He's Canadian, but we don't hold that against him. Much. :)

Been going almost 7 years now, but man, what a documentary. Worth the read.

There's more guys doing it up great and know a lot of sh*t, too, but they don't always flash their expertise. First you have to know your path on where to start looking. There's some hard core drag racers on here, who use their nut sack as wheelie bars when needed, that can help big time on making your Monte haul azz at the strip as well if that's your goal.

Here's your typical parts book drawings. They help sometimes, but they don't always tell the whole story. And here's a tip, they don't always show every part you need every time, either.

1675713570598.png

Reactions: 7 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Very good suggestions for newbies...take pictures as you go along...plenty of pictures...bag bolts and brackets...lastly, purchase shop service manuals for your make/year/model. I've been working of old vehicles all my life and for each of the vehicles, especially the older ones, I find and buy as much technical and reference materials/books. Lastly, take your time! Good luck!

• Agree

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
It's an 87 442, but @oldsofb does a fantastic, almost Hollywood style production
Let's not go crazy :LOL:

I will agree that most things can be accomplished with a good Factory Service Manual and a couple of searches on the ol' screwtube. Most of what I know about the G-Body I learned right here. If I don't know, a search of the forum at the top usually yields good results.

Don't let 69hurstolds fool you either, he is a walking Service Bulletin, Shop Manual, Part Number, Production Code GURU. He reads trunk Option Code Decals like it's his first language.

This site is a wealth of knowledge, with great people, soak it up.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
From a fellow Monte owner ('81), the '79 Cutlass assembly manual is a good source for some common assemblies. I got mine off Ebay

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Diagrams and books are out there, just need to surf around.

Plus don't forget, older local shops, older local dealerships, yard sales, Goodwill Stores, used book stores... I know the dealership where I worked during that time period, we had boxes full of manuals, obsolete parts books, and technical updates. Etc...

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada

Scored my Monte's service manual from them as well as the one for the G-10, the S-10, and the Sedan de Ville. Prices were quite reasonable, as far as I was concerned. Located out in California?

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor