Gbody Rolling Chassis Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Has anybody ever weighed their car without engine and transmission?

I would be interested in knowing the weight of a Buick Regal/GN if possible, but any Gbody will do. If you state a weight, please list which of the following youre using?

1) Wheels, stock or...? Steel or Aluminum?
2) Brakes, stock or...?
3) Rear end, stock 7.5? Stock 8.5? or.....?
4) Fuel tank? Stock? How full?

My car "feels" heavier than it should, and im not 100% sure where the weight is coming from. I don't see how it could be anything other than from the driveline, but ya never know. Just trying to get an idea of what a rolling chassis should weigh. My car feels like it weighs 4500lbs.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Well no one answered yet........

How about 3550 for the normal driving weight (without driver) 87 GN - steel wheels, completely stock with a 1/2 tank of Gas

I'm going to guess that the motor dressed and ready to run is going to be 500 lbs and the 200 4R with converter and fluid is 250 lbs

3550 - 750 = 2800

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Is that with the LS1 and 2004r?

Or a turbo 6?

I bet I could find the weights of those separately.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
just trying to help

If you read the post carefully - it says completely stock GN

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
Where are you getting this feel from?
If your pushing it it could be the rolling resistance your feeling.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Thanks LS1 GN. I must have glanced over that part.

GhettoRacingKid said:
Where are you getting this feel from?
If your pushing it it could be the rolling resistance your feeling.

From Towing. Just how much pedal effort it takes to get up to speed with the same truck/trailer combo. My cadillac powered regal is much heavier than my brother's SBC GP. Other 3500ish lb cars I have towed down feel nearly as heavy as my regal.

The only thing that compares is a freinds 1974 Torino lol. Thats a heavy beast.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
online170 said:
Has anybody ever weighed their car without engine and transmission?

I would be interested in knowing the weight of a Buick Regal/GN if possible, but any Gbody will do. If you state a weight, please list which of the following youre using?

1) Wheels, stock or...? Steel or Aluminum?
2) Brakes, stock or...?
3) Rear end, stock 7.5? Stock 8.5? or.....?
4) Fuel tank? Stock? How full?

My car "feels" heavier than it should, and im not 100% sure where the weight is coming from. I don't see how it could be anything other than from the driveline, but ya never know. Just trying to get an idea of what a rolling chassis should weigh. My car feels like it weighs 4500lbs.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

You also forgot about bumpers. Some Regals have heavy steel bumper supports and others have lighter aluminum bumper supports from the factory (not the bumper to frame mounts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor