Getting my car to handle, What is my next step ?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Kam, the one big point that Mark Savitske emphasized was without doing research and being familiar with the specific parts you install, sometimes one part will counter/eliminate/work against the over objective and initial intent of the project/upgrade. Simply put one part can/may eliminate the positives of another part.

I ended up installing the pro touring suspension kit which included a number of parts from different vendors. I have a list of these parts if you're interested.

Reactions: 2 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Although larger sway bars and stiffer springs will reduce body roll and improve confidence, I think that the best thing you can really do is start getting seat time at autocross events. From first hand experience, sticky tires will be fun but actually rob you of teachable moments. Go out on whatever tires you have now and push their limits. You can learn more in two events on bad tires than you can in 5 events on great tires. And once you know what your car will do in various situations, you'll better know what the car needs or doesn't need.
My earliest and favorite suspension mod was sway bars. They made the car feel confident. But let it be said that extra confidence can take you farther into the deep end than you realize, and when your head goes under it's best to already know how to swim
Kam, the one big point that Mark Savitske emphasized was without doing research and being familiar with the specific parts you install, sometimes one part will counter/eliminate/work against the over objective and initial intent of the project/upgrade. Simply put one part can/may eliminate the positives of another part.

I ended up installing the pro touring suspension kit which included a number of parts from different vendors. I have a list of these parts if you're interested.
Sure that would be helpful thank you .
Nothing is ever simple is it ? 😂
Had a 67 Camaro few years back , put the hotchkis TVS kit on it and tightened up nicely but it was still a death trap you just didn’t feel it til you were going faster lol
Was on the freeway doing triple digits one day and went into a corner way too hot , I could feel the front end pushing
There was no noise no smoke just my white knuckles on the wheel at 100 +mph
I stayed calm and held my line and drove through without upsetting the car
I swear I could see the wood grain on the sign posts I passed ! suddenly “ultra aware” lol
This is the sort of false security I don’t want
My iroc was very neutral in corners and if you did slide you just turn into it and give it some gas

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sure that would be helpful thank you .
Nothing is ever simple is it ? 😂
Had a 67 Camaro few years back , put the hotchkis TVS kit on it and tightened up nicely but it was still a death trap you just didn’t feel it til you were going faster lol
Was on the freeway doing triple digits one day and went into a corner way too hot , I could feel the front end pushing
There was no noise no smoke just my white knuckles on the wheel at 100 +mph
I stayed calm and held my line and drove through without upsetting the car
I swear I could see the wood grain on the sign posts I passed ! suddenly “ultra aware” lol
This is the sort of false security I don’t want
My iroc was very neutral in corners and if you did slide you just turn into it and give it some gas
The white knuckling reference is humorous. Been there and done that unfortunately.

My car, In the avatar, is concerned about going straight….and that’s it. It reminds me every time I try to turn over 70-80mph because it’s AWFUL!!

• Haha

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
I like to put 2 spring spacers on such cars you know they fit between the coils you have to jack the car up and pry the coils open then knock then in with a hammer I usually put them cross from each other on same loop and diagonal across to the cars longitude ect and maybe 1/3 the way up(down) from the top of spring if you do the front you might need to do something on the back also. Unless you like the air shock lift you get or coil shocks are popular , monroe gas shocks "are a minimal nessesity?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hey, Kamloops, total non sequitur here but how are you doing with all the fires burning out your way? Hearing bad news about Kelowna and points north.

Be an absolute total bummer to be forced to have to bail and have to leave your toys behind. Not sure if a hurricane would help but one of them is headed your (BC's) way as well. We got rain coming courtesy of some weather system coming up from the Gulf.

Stay safe pilgrim.

Nick sends

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Hey, Kamloops, total non sequitur here but how are you doing with all the fires burning out your way? Hearing bad news about Kelowna and points north.

Be an absolute total bummer to be forced to have to bail and have to leave your toys behind. Not sure if a hurricane would help but one of them is headed your (BC's) way as well. We got rain coming courtesy of some weather system coming up from the Gulf.

Stay safe pilgrim.

Nick sends
Fires are relentless in the region , Kelowna was hit hard and also Shuswap area
I have friends that’ had to 4 wheel drive through backroads and trails to get to the lake to be evacuated
Another buddy that is being flown in daily to fall trees and create access for fire fighters and emergency vehicles
While another friend in Kelowna sits at home with a go bag waiting to hear if he’s gotta run
We are pretty safe in Kamloops for the moment but nature parks and gun ranges are closed and people are doing what they can to help each other
On my end I am just keeping my fuel tank full and cash on hand in case of emergency but I’m not really expecting trouble

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Scare up a couple of 5 gal red poly-plastic gas cans and fill them too. Also a 5 gal yellow for diesel. and a couple of clear ones for water. You might not run diesel but the stuff is tradeable for sh*t that you might need and what goes around comes around. I have two go bags built, one for when I have to go to the hospital, and the other for Vay-Kay. Not quite the same contents but close enough, socks, shirts, and jeans. and other clothing, dopp kit for the personal stuff, thow in some T-P and a 6 pk of water (or Boost) and some gorp and go. The water can kind of seem redundant but personal hygiene like washing your hands before eating can keep the galloping crud from becoming an issue.

A few of the regulars on this forum have practical experience and can offer a more dedicated syllabus on what to pack and what to discard

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor