Glueing in 1/4 windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
What is everybody using to install 1/4 windows nowadays? I just painted my Elco roof and back end and want to put them in. I haven’t glued in any windows in decades, whats being used today?

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just used new butyl for my quarter windows in both my Regal and Monte

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I just used new butyl for my quarter windows in both my Regal and Monte
That's what I did also on my GN 1/4 glass. 3M Window Weld

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Urethane IMO only works for front and rear glass where you have exterior access to remove it if you have to, most quarter windows only have a limited interior access.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Butyl for side windows on a G47 for dang sure. No urethane. Not sure about Elky side quarters. I agree that front/rear glass is better off with urethane becuase you can actually cut that out if need be. Quarter glass usually won't have much room for cutting if you need to remove it. Especially the G47 quarter glasses. There may be some applications where urethane can be used instead of butyl tape, but if it's accessible to cut out and not crunch your glass doing it, then urethane is probably a better choice. But if you don't have much access to get the window out without breaking it, I'd go butyl.

JMO.

• Agree

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
I used butyl tape putting the quarter windows back in after I painted my El Camino. My records show purchases for 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" but not which one I specifically used on the quarter windows. Although as I recall the original was pretty substantial.

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
They were a b-tch to get out. I used a heat gun and wide scraper/putty knife. Like coupes you have to remove all the interior on the side your doing. They glue in from the inside.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I used butyl when I set mine.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i used butyl on my 1/4 glass.there's no way i'd ever get those out in one piece if i used urethane considering the location/close quarters they're in..if we were talking a ft/rr glass on anything late model and/or uni body there's no question urethane.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor