Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

HDFXR1991

Apprentice
Aug 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Awsome post Bonnewagon!
Found lots of good info on my Q-Jet.
Don't know if I got the guts to try rebuilding.....but ya never know.
Also good post on Dragonists thread about his Q-Jet.

Thanks again.
HDFXR1991

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ya know what? In 1978 I swapped in a 68' Pontiac 350 into my 68' OHC 6 Firebird. The 2 barrel carb was shot. After I got 3 leaky 2GC's from an auto store, I was determined to rebuild it myself and I bought a Jiffy Kit and dove in. It wasn't that hard and I never looked back. 99.9% of carb rebuilding is just cleaning. We didn't have the wealth of good info that exists today, so articles like this make life much easier.

HDFXR1991

Apprentice
Aug 21, 2011
Wisconsin
You maybe right. Aint gonna know till ya know what you know.
I remember the week it took for the swap in April of '88. I was just a young kid that just wanted it in so I could go. Now I want only the best and to make the Cutlass and the Rocket last. And yes the info we have now at our finger tips is just mind blowing. It was fun asking the other guys back in the day. As it is here now. Getting all the stories and "I did this" fixes. Now I'm just trying to keep the kid in me. Playing around and tinkering. And it's working.
I ran the numbers on the Q-Jet and found it is the original to the motor. It does need a good outside cleaning. Real grubby and all brown with varnish. The insides are cleaning up real good with the driving around (93 octain and Seafoam) and playing with the Big Jets. 8) I'm am wondering about the bowls and if there is a leak down in there. After replacing the fuel pump and getting the presure back to norm (6.5) the Q-Jet & motor acted real Happy last night.

Might be another winter project. I'm still kicking it around. Just won't do it during a ballgame or hockey game. Might have springs and small pieces all over the floor. :shock:

Thanks again.
Till next time.............

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
KEEP THAT ORIGINAL CARB!!! :D Sorry to shout but that is so rare these days. Nothing beats having the factory carb that was designed for your particular car. I use this stuff, but I buy it in a gallon can. You MUST remove all plastic and rubber parts, but after soaking a few days it will be down to bare metal, dirt just falls off and it will be clean as new.
51ropjQmZ9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

HDFXR1991

Apprentice
Aug 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Oh don't worry. I'm not going to part with the 4MC.
I have always been impressed with the motor and carb set up.
Why break up a good pair.
Parts cleaner bucket looks like a good idea and with a basket on there can't beat it.
Keep pushing and I'm gonna do it..... 8)

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I used some of that carb cleaner (not the wimpy spray can kind)... Bought me a gallon tank.

... when they say, "avoid skin contact", they mean it... my skin swelled into 3 times it size and my hand looked like a oversized shriveled balloon.

but yeah... just melts the dirt/gunk right off.

Make sure you use in a well ventilated area... if you're doing it in your garage, leave doors open. Or your whole house will stink

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor