Good fitting small tube headers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowBridge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2022
I only want 1.5 primaries and a good fit. 81 Malibu Classic Small Block

I found these below. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks ~

LowBridge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2022
Thanks pagrunt, I've always had goodluck with hedman. Hvae you instaled any of these?
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Last form of my Monte had the 68310's. Was kind of default since I have the factory clutch set up. Was going to use the 68316's I had but went went for the older style manifolds & sold them to a fellow member here. They were great but daily driving in Pa all year round did shorten their life. I'd use them again for street headers.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I have flowtech. best fit Ive found. allows for large oil filter too

Reactions: 1 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Any particular reason for the 1.5" instead of the standard 1 5/8" that SBC normaly use?

LowBridge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2022
yes, I have the often hated 4.1 SBC. less is more for this "cab" motor.

LowBridge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2022
Yes , you know I thought my CID didn't look wright before I replied. I've owned it like 10 years. You are correct 4.4 267. Any way she's just got 86k on the clock, dual plane intake, and a 390 4bbl Holley. So just a little rumble for the drive would be nice. Obviously a little more bump stick would be nice but no time soon for that.

I find it a challange always to squeeze what ever I can from where ever. I know the 267 is hated but alas she's a Small Block Chevy & my love affair with sbc go why beyound my my x of 26 years ~

Below is a read and almost everywhere you get the same distain for the little squeeky mouse:

HotCars:

Applied to GM’s F-body models as the L39 4.4-liter V8, the Chevrolet 267 small-block V8 generated 120 horsepower at 3,600 rpm and 215 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm, although this SAE NET power output would drop in subsequent years of the engine. The engine used a low 8.3:1 compression ratio.

Many users on the TriFive automotive forum didn’t have good things to say about the 267, with one commenter saying the 267 was bad, to begin with, and “not worth taking for free at 113,000 miles,” and another saying, “it would move the ride but not be a fast engine,” and yet another over at nastyz28.com saying, “Just about every 267 ever built was a POS. Crap heads, crap block, crap rods, soft cams, underpowered.”

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Yes , you know I thought my CID didn't look wright before I replied. I've owned it like 10 years. You are correct 4.4 267. Any way she's just got 86k on the clock, dual plane intake, and a 390 4bbl Holley. So just a little rumble for the drive would be nice. Obviously a little more bump stick would be nice but no time soon for that.

I find it a challange always to squeeze what ever I can from where ever. I know the 267 is hated but alas she's a Small Block Chevy & my love affair with sbc go why beyound my my x of 26 years ~

Below is a read and almost everywhere you get the same distain for the little squeeky mouse:

HotCars:

Applied to GM’s F-body models as the L39 4.4-liter V8, the Chevrolet 267 small-block V8 generated 120 horsepower at 3,600 rpm and 215 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm, although this SAE NET power output would drop in subsequent years of the engine. The engine used a low 8.3:1 compression ratio.

Many users on the TriFive automotive forum didn’t have good things to say about the 267, with one commenter saying the 267 was bad, to begin with, and “not worth taking for free at 113,000 miles,” and another saying, “it would move the ride but not be a fast engine,” and yet another over at nastyz28.com saying, “Just about every 267 ever built was a POS. Crap heads, crap block, crap rods, soft cams, underpowered.”
Back in '91 we put one in my dad's POS '78 Firebird that had a 250-6/TH350. In stead of the Dualjet it got a old 2bbl Rochester & intake off a '66 283 which did give it some more pep. The fact the car was originally a 231/3 speed did give it better gears to make it move better. Big power add ons won't ever work on it but anything that makes it breath easier will make those 115 horses act like they had a Red Bull. Those Hedmans may be the best option of any headers but even going to 2.25" exhaust can help. As for the cam, I'm thinking it was the typical "fits all" that was even in the 305.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor