Got a 200-4r, have a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Pulled one out of a cutlass tuesday. I dont think it was an orginal trans for the car, so how to I identify it?

How much power can a rebuilt stock 200-4r take?

All i yanked was the trans, i didnt take the fly wheel or the clutch. Should I go get them, or can i just use my 3.8s. Also what else do i need as far as linkage.

Where can i get a 200-4r rebuilt in the st.louis area?

there should be a tag on the case with a bunch of numbers and letters, if you post them here i'm sure we can figure it out.
later year -r4's had a number of improvements and if properly rebuilt and adjusted (the most important part) and a shift kit , they should take up to 350hp. (that's a guesstimate.)
flywheel??? clutch??? those are only on manual transmissions. auto's use a flexplate and a torque converter.

I dont know much about transmissions. Ive only pulled one other transmission in my life and it was a manual, and thats what my dad called the parts.

it looks like it's an olds or caddy trans, probably built to go behind a 307. if so, it has a low performance calibration. this can be changed somewhat by playing with the springs and weights on the governor.
the best ones are the BRF/grand national, monte SS, olds 442 and t-type valve bodies. if you can find one :(

here's how to decipher the numbers...

1986-1990 transmissions use a 15 digit numbering system {EXAMPLE: 9 123 2T86CZF 1234}. The 1st digit is the Calender year the unit was built. The 2nd,3rd, & 4th digits are the Julian Date {see above}. The 5th digit is the Plant Shift the trans was built. The 6th digit is the Hydramatic plant the trans was built at. The 7th & 8th digits are the model year of the vehicle the trans was installed in. The 9th & 10th digits are the two letter code of the transmission & denotes internal parts & valve body calibration of the unit. The 11th digit is the letter "F". This denotes that the trans is a 200-4R {GM decided to add a third letter to the code that will show what transmission family it is, 200C = "B", 200-4R = "F", 700-R4 = "M", etc...}. The last 4 numbers are the serial number of the unit.

I don't think you have all the numbers though because 86 and up have an F which your has but it's a 15 digit code and you only posted 13......the 13 digit code was used before 86 but there was no F in the code...

1982-1985 transmissions use a two letter code on the tag & 1986-1990 transmissions use a three letter code with an "F" at the end of the code

Heres a quick pic of most GM transmission pans hopefully it helps you some
GMtrannypans.jpg

STLRegal

The 2004R trans will hold up to quite abit of abuse, even yours maynot be a BRF trans you can build it just as stronger if not stronger.

I have a 82 Regal with a Buick 455 backed by a 2004R BRF GN trans ,with just the basic upgrades and I try to abuse it religiously, after 1 good full year of having it.. no problems.

Even tho mine is a BRF..your could last and work just as well.

There is a place in CA that builds those virtualy indestructible, they are behind 9 Sec GN's...

http://www.ptsxtreme.com

I hope these guys can help...... mine wasnt built by them, but buy a local shop ,who dealt with a few GNs before.

Code not matching

I got a 200 4-r transmission just rebuilt, but don't know anything about it. The only numbers on it are as follows:
G

Any body got any idea to figure out what it came out of? Also, what stall for the torque converter? My buddy says 1200, but the guy helping me do all the work says 1800. Thanks.

Sorry, I should've mentioned it's going in a 72 Skylark with a newly rebuilt 350 2bbl engine so the HP is now around 345hp. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor