Got a wobble, need an answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
I have a wobble in the front end on take off. It feels like it would if I had a bent rim but goes away. Could this be a problem with tie rods? There's a little bit of a float when I change lanes too

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
You might want to check the tires.
If you have old tires especially, the outside tread can start to separate from the main part of the tire.

This has happened to me 3 times on different cars. And one of them was driving home on the highway and it gave way and the pc that seperated split and destroyed the front fender. It exibited the same characteristics as you describe on the highway where you seem to float a bit and there is a noise or shake at certain speeds.
I have seen an instance where it happened to the rear tire and destroyed the guys rear quarter. A lot easier to repair/replace when it is the front fender.

So check those tires closely, I don't think it is easy to spot. Change them both out if you have spares and see if that changes it.

fatload2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2010
Whorelando FL
Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. That same thing happened to me in my Bronco 3 times and once was in the rear going 70mph...nothing a giant hammer couldn't fix :rofl: Anyhow, I've checked the tires for that same reason but they're still in almost perfectly new condition. It's gonna drive me nuts

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
If you had these tires on your car and stored it for the winter with the tires on the ground they could have flat spots on them. You could also have a broken belt on one of the tires which would give the tread a lumpy or wavy surface on the tire. It could very well be the tie rods also, this will cause a floating type of feel when driving and a wobble at low speeds too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor